Animal Lovers Web Forum
List of products dangerous for dogs. Please read carefully! - Printable Version

+- Animal Lovers Web Forum (http://www.animalloverswebforum.com)
+-- Forum: Animals (http://www.animalloverswebforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Dogs (http://www.animalloverswebforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: List of products dangerous for dogs. Please read carefully! (/showthread.php?tid=644)

Pages: 1 2

List of products dangerous for dogs. Please read carefully! - Tobi - 07-02-2014

* Grapes.
* Raisins.
* Avocados.
* Alcohol.
* Chocolate.
* (Any products containing XYLITOL)
* Caffeine, or anything containing Caffeine....coffee, tea, chocolate (already mentioned) Coca Cola, energy drinks etc.
* Bread dough (it rises in the dog's stomach causing pain and bloating -no fun!)
* Apple seeds and pits from any fruits (contain cyanide!)
* Macadamia nuts.
* Bones are generally bad news. They splinter and cause lacerations or blockages in the gut. At the very least they cause dreadful constipation.
* Mushrooms.
* Onions (cause a dangerous form of anaemia)
* Garlic is borderline, some dogs can tolerate it but it might be better not to risk it.
* Fatty food (causes acute Pancreatitis) Sometimes even a small amount of greasy chicken or turkey skin can cause a dog to have a Pancreatitis attack.
* Dairy. Dogs are basically lactose-intolerant, and dairy products can cause bad stomach/gut upsets. Some can tolerate small amounts (like cheese treats) better than others, but best to keep dogs away from drinking milk.
* Mouldy food. NEVER give a dog anything which is suspect, spoiled or mouldy.
* Tobacco and Nicotine gum.
* Marijuana (even inhaling the smoke can be dangerous, but more dangerous if ingested. Causes seizures and death.)

I may have missed many things in this list.....

RE: Warning: avoid xylitol products if you have a dog - Catherine - 07-02-2014

Thank-you for posting this article. I certainly did not know about Xylitol.
I try to avoid all "artificial" sweeteners for myself anyhow. I find it is better to learn to eat less sweet stuff. I would never trust something like Xylitol and now I can see why. It is clearly not so safe as they lead us to believe. I realize that dogs are the most vulnerable to it, but that doesn't make it safe for anyone else.

Good list of toxic foods. There are many things we can eat that dogs cannot. It is great that there is a pet poison control centre, but it is also sad that there needs to be one.

RE: List of products dangerous for dogs. Please read carefully! - LPC - 07-09-2014

Great list, Tobi. Thank you so much. It is now a sticky of its own!

RE: List of products dangerous for dogs. Please read carefully! - Tobi - 08-23-2018

Other things which happen in homes which are no good for dogs or any other animals:

Air freshener sprays

Plug-in air fresheners (especially near animals' food areas or beds!)

Spray deodorants and hair spray if the dog or animal is in the same room

Very loud music (Their hearing is acutely sensitive.)

Household cleaning products (just read the ingredients! Not sure they are safe for humans either! Some toxins will linger for a long time near floor area, where animals spend their time.)

EMF emissions from devices, smart meters etc. (routers, computers, phones etc ought to be switched off at night for our own safety, but make sure the animal is not sleeping near something like this. And switching off whenever possible will help to protect them.)

Cigarette smoke, or any other smoke in an enclosed space.
We can choose whether or not to smoke, but a dog or any other animal has no choice if we fill a room or car with smoke! This includes smoke from incense as well, or a backed-up fireplace.
We wouldn't smoke in a room where there was a baby or child. It's the same if we have a dog or other animal. Smoking outside is a better idea.

RE: List of products dangerous for dogs. Please read carefully! - Catherine - 08-23-2018

This is a good list of dangers. The plug-ins can be a bit of a fire hazard anyhow.  Hairspray can coat the lungs. People shouldn't use it on themselves. They breath it in. It could be deadly for any pet.

Cleaning products! 
Many of them are not safe for household use. If you read the list of safety precautions, why would you still use them. They can cause serious skin irritations. Pets walk on surfaces and lick things. I would worry about furniture polish even. It could easily poison a dog.

RE: List of products dangerous for dogs. Please read carefully! - LPC - 08-23-2018

Great thread, Tobi. I have seen lists on other forums in the past, but yours is probably the most comprehensive I have seen - even on dog forums!

RE: List of products dangerous for dogs. Please read carefully! - Catslave - 09-29-2018

Any sort of pain relief that people take is also dangerous never give any of your medication to your pets.

RE: List of products dangerous for dogs. Please read carefully! - Catherine - 09-29-2018

Often human meds are much too high a dosage for a dog. Even if they would tolerate the medication the human pill would give them an overdose that could be fatal. Meds are given according to weight and most humans out weight most dogs.

RE: List of products dangerous for dogs. Please read carefully! - Leandro06069898 - 09-29-2020

(07-02-2014, 11:04 AM)Hi Tobi,  thank so much for bring us this list of food which can not be eaten for dogs. I had a bad experience , one of this food which is the bones, killed my dog, I already knew that it hurts the intestines of this animal,  however, my parents gave many bones to my dog name Pachire, when I was at the Collegue, so he could not poo, and when was the hour of the surgery, Pachiro could not resist * Grapes. Wrote: * Raisins.
* Avocados.
* Alcohol.
* Chocolate.
* (Any products containing XYLITOL)
* Caffeine, or anything containing Caffeine....coffee, tea, chocolate (already mentioned) Coca Cola, energy drinks etc.
* Bread dough (it rises in the dog's stomach causing pain and bloating -no fun!)
* Apple seeds and pits from any fruits (contain cyanide!)
* Macadamia nuts.
* Bones are generally bad news. They splinter and cause lacerations or blockages in the gut. At the very least they cause dreadful constipation.
* Mushrooms.
* Onions (cause a dangerous form of anaemia)
* Garlic is borderline, some dogs can tolerate it but it might be better not to risk it.
* Fatty food (causes acute Pancreatitis) Sometimes even a small amount of greasy chicken or turkey skin can cause a dog to have a Pancreatitis attack.
* Dairy. Dogs are basically lactose-intolerant, and dairy products can cause bad stomach/gut upsets. Some can tolerate small amounts (like cheese treats) better than others, but best to keep dogs away from drinking milk.
* Mouldy food. NEVER give a dog anything which is suspect, spoiled or mouldy.
* Tobacco and Nicotine gum.
* Marijuana (even inhaling the smoke can be dangerous, but more dangerous if ingested. Causes seizures and death.)

I may have missed many things in this list.....

RE: List of products dangerous for dogs. Please read carefully! - Catherine - 09-29-2020

I am sorry that you lost your dog. There are so many human foods and products that are dangerous to dogs (and cats, guinea pigs, rabbits and other pets).
If you are not sure it is better not to give something to a dog.  Bones are especially dangerous.