Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rescue dog shot at the airport
Sad 
A rescue dog called Greta was being flown from the north to Winnipeg Airport. As she was being unloaded she escaped and ran out onto a runway. One flight did have to abort its landing quickly because of the dog. When she wasn't captured  immediately, Wildlife Control officers shot and killed her.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/04/11..._23409152/

This was not a happy ending for anyone, but especially not for Greta the dog. She was taken from her old life on the expectation of a newer happier life. Instead after a frightening time she ended up dead. 

I think they owe it to Greta to review every step of this, from the crates used for shipping, to the unloading practices and the way the airport handles escaped animals. Admittedly there could have been some risk to planes landing, but if they had a better plan for catching an escaped dog this could have ended better. It is too easy to just kill the dog. Catching her required some skills. 
Greta deserved a chance at life and they took that from her when they took the easy route. I am disappointed that Winnipeg Airport acted this way. I am also disappointed that no one is objecting to this. It is because Greta was a rescue. She had no family to grieve for her and be upset by her death. She was a rescue and there are plenty more where she came from. Smiley19
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

From the article:
"My understanding is that there are no airports in Canada which use that technique, but ... if it's practical and makes sense and works then, absolutely, we would look at it as an option."

When I first read the headline, my very first thought was, "Why didn't they use a fast-working tranquilliser?" This is possible, by giving a strong dose and then an antidote. See https://www.quora.com/How-fast-do-tranqu...on-animals
If the reason for not using a tranquilizer dart is the risk that it might kill the animal remember the other alternative was shooting it...dead! I think when the choices are possible risk of harm vs. dead, take the risk. The animal at least has a chance. This was an escaped dog and it wasn't dangerous. Someone with some dog experience could have caught her. They were chasing Greta and of course she was scared and ran. The people who shot her were with Wildlife Control. They are not used to dogs, they are used to more dangerous, possibly rabid wild animals. They needed someone who understands dogs. This is not the first time an escaped dog has been shot at an airport. 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news...d-10043455

This dog was actually a working dog and could easily have been caught if everyone had stayed calm.

This is one I have never heard of.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...times.html

https://www.koreaboo.com/news/familys-pe...n-airport/

Airports have a tendency to react aggressively towards escaped animals. I think that needs to be reviewed and I think they need to review their baggage handling procedures. We all know luggage doesn't do well when you fly, but neither do animals. Look how many pets die on United Airlines flights and other airlines. 

Maybe there needs to be a complete review of airlines and airports and how they handle situations.
Catherine

I am shocked and annoyed about what happened.

(Quote from the Huffpost article):

.....He said they've looked at the option of using a tranquillizer gun.

"My understanding is that there are no airports in Canada which use that technique, but ... if it's practical and makes sense and works then, absolutely, we would look at it as an option."

A tranquiliser gun is the most OBVIOUS option. And all vets should carry them. In fact where animals pass through (and they do regularly through airports) there should be a vet at all times in the airport, and he/she should be equipped for any event.

How absolutely stupid!

Someone just trigger-happy. "It's just a dog". Everyone scared of delaying the flights for another 20 minutes. Okay I know those aircraft would have to go into holding patterns and many may be low on fuel, but how long does it take to knock a dog out with a dart, then run and collect it? Probably much less than 20 minutes, if people had been ready.

Poor dear Greta. She was terrified, panicked, and humans let her down. May her Soul be blessed where she has gone and may she be very happy there.
They probably could have lured her in with a cheeseburger and caught her easily. 

Quote:A tranquiliser gun is the most OBVIOUS option. And all vets should carry them. In fact where animals pass through (and they do regularly through airports) there should be a vet at all times in the airport, and he/she should be equipped for any event.
This is the real point. Airports are not prepared to deal with an obvious problem. An escaped dog is something they should expect since they ship dogs all the time. Why are they not prepared to deal with something that they should expect to have happen periodically. 
Every time it happens, anywhere it happens, they act like it is some kind of emergency. It is just a dog out. Deal with it rationally. Don't turn into a swat team dealing with terrorists. 

If you are going to ship a dog, the dog's kennel should have a lock on it and it should be very secure. Of course the airline may have damaged the secure dog kennel. After all how do dogs keep escaping at airports?
Catherine