Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extinct animals size
I am looking at the claws and I know this bear was a serious carnivore. It makes me think of the polar bear in some ways. 
Were the fossils found all over north America or just in certain areas. 

He still has a kind of teddy bear face.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

[Image: d77dm5s-aca4d750-04c3-4225-97f4-7a65e030...W8qJvBfy40]

Shastasaurus is the largest ichthyosaur. It was thought to be a suction feeder, feeding primarily on soft-bodied cephalopods. Shastasaurus measured upto 21m (70 ft) in length, making it the largest known marine reptile.

Fossils have been found in United States, Canada and China.
Seventy feet! That is one large ichthyosaur. I would have expected it to eat big things. Of course some of the cephalopods were pretty big.
Catherine

(01-31-2020, 04:27 PM)Catherine Wrote: Seventy feet! That is one large ichthyosaur.

There are new findings bigger than that and it was mentioned that they challenge the blue whale in size, however most likely that is not the case as it seems. They might get closer to the length of the blue whale but not weight.

[Image: d75vryh-ede7a6a5-2e6d-4ef1-b38f-f7dda433...GbATkhsiAU]

Dunkleosteus was perhaps one of the world's first apex predator. It was one of the baddest, meanest fish, had one of the most powerful bite of any fish. Instead of teeth, it possessed two pairs of sharp bony plates which formed a beak-like structure. This heavily armored fish had a bite force of 6,000 to 7,400 N (1,350 to 1,660 lbf). This scary monster could eat just about anything. The largest species of dunkleosteus was about 6 - 7 m (20 - 23ft) in length or more. It was arguably the first king of the beasts.

Fossils have been found in in Belgium, Poland, Morocco and North America.
Quote:There are new findings bigger than that and it was mentioned that they challenge the blue whale in size, however most likely that is not the case as it seems. They might get closer to the length of the blue whale but not weight.
Even if it just had the length of a blue whale, but not the weight, it would still be very large.

I have never heard of Dunkleosteus. It is one mean looking fish. At 20feet or more, it would definitely rule as an apex predator.
Catherine

(02-06-2020, 05:18 PM)Catherine Wrote:
Quote:Even if it just had the length of a blue whale, but not the weight, it would still be very large.

Yes, it would still be very large.

[Image: d8k8zpy-9f3b857f-a9e5-47db-a11c-4950ceb7...b7IJPZSbhg]

Sauroposeidon was one of the tallest and heaviest dinosaurs. The head of this behemoth could reach 18 m (60 ft) in height with its neck extended and the animal overall was 34 m (112 ft) in length and weighed 50 - 60 tonnes. It's neck alone was 12m (40 ft), as long as a school bus.

Fossils have been found in North America (Oklahoma, Wyoming and Texas).

[Image: d91dsn9-fe01afc9-5992-49bc-a7b5-02d333b3...8amsV17guQ]

Magnapaulia Laticaudus is one of the largest hadrosaurs. It could grow to about 12.5 m (41 ft) in length and weigh 12 tonnes or more. It is one of the largest ornithischians, only being surpassed by shantungosaurus.

Fossils have been found in North America.
Sauroposeidon must have been an incredible sight. I think the long curving neck would have looked elegant. We have nothing like that now. Sad.

I love the hadrosaur. It is big, it's beautiful and it is kind of cute. They are so interesting looking. I wish we knew what colours they were and how they behaved.
Catherine

[Image: d7tcqxs-bdbfda7e-9244-404e-9d55-d4e944d0...p-qSXy1Y3s]

Archelon is one of the largest sea turtles that has ever existed. It was the size of a car, measuring 4 m (13 ft) long or more and weighed about 2.2 tonnes. It was a marine turtle, whose closest living relative in the present day is the leatherback sea turtle. Archelon has a hooked beak and probably had a very strong bite. It's mouth is well designed for eating large molluscs.

Fossils have been found in North America (Kansas, Nebraska and South Dakota).
Magnificent!
A  turtle the size of a car gliding through the water would have been an incredible sight.  How long ago  did they disappear? 
We have lost so many beautiful animals.
Catherine

(02-16-2020, 04:28 PM)Catherine Wrote: Magnificent!
A  turtle the size of a car gliding through the water would have been an incredible sight.  How long ago  did they disappear? 

It is said to have lived 75 to 65 million years ago during the Late Cretaceous Period, during the time of the dinosaurs.