Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unexplained bird deaths in BC
A number of people were startled by birds suddenly falling out of the sky and plunging to the earth. They lay there dead and dying on the pavement with no apparent cause. The birds were all European Starlings and they are being studied no to see if they can determine the cause of death. In all 42 birds died.

https://nationalpost.com/news/dead-and-d...-community

This is shocking, but not unheard of, although this is a rather large number of deaths.  Occasionally a small number of birds will die. This was a massive event. I hope the cause can be determined. I can't even take a wild guess at the cause.  If I find anything out I will post it here.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I would be very interested if you discover anything about why this happened, Catherine.
To just fall out of the sky like that??
Starlings are very tough birds.
I wonder if there was some airborne toxin? Maybe something a little lighter that rose into the air rather than clung at ground level. So humans  had no idea it was there?
They think they know what happened. There was a larger flock of starlings and they were likely being chased by a predator like a hawk. They flew up and over buildings and some of them hit the concrete. Some birds were killed and some did recover. 

https://www.nanaimobulletin.com/news/mys...ty-solved/

It is not always easy for birds to judge how close things are when you have buildings with windows and reflections. Our manufactured landscapes are a bit of a problem for them. I am sorry so many birds died, but it is good to know it isn't a virus or pollution. It was just a sad accident.
Catherine

Oh I see.
What a shame. Poor birds.
It is a very odd accident. Birds don't do well around modern buildings. I can see how it could happen. It is very sad that this happened.
Catherine