Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead Sperm Whale found with stomach full of plastic
It seems that every day we are hearing about a marine mammal dead from some human cause, usually plastic.
This time it was a sperm whale.  It had many plastic cups in its stomach. It even had a pair of Flip Flops. Because the body was so decomposed it is not possible to prove the cause of death, but the presence of so much plastic is pretty suspicious.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4680168/dead-...c-stomach/

The point is, we have an ocean emergency. Our sea mammal friends are dying at an alarming rate. It is not just that we need to clean up the plastic in the oceans. We need to stop throwing more into the oceans so they don't get worse. The whole planet needs to get involved in this. We all have a responsibility. We grew up using plastic and throwing it away. We didn't know any better. Now we do and we need to recycle and do whatever we can to help the clean up.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Everything you write is absolutely true. However, people are still throwing away plastic all the time: on beaches, in streets, almost everywhere....

I would like to be optimistic, but many humans are so lazy and apathetic that this will be a hard battle to win. In terms of plastic waste, the worst offenders are listed here:
https://www.statista.com/chart/12211/the...s-the-most

In terms of general waste, the picture is different, with the USA recycling very little of its waste. See:
https://sites.google.com/site/iilyear4/t...most-waste

Other (non-human) species of the world are suffering innocently. They did not create all this horrendous pollution. We the humans did so. Shame on us!
This has to stop!
We are kiling creatures and our planet with thoughtless disposal of waste.

I have seen someone throw a plastic bag in the river....I even saw an old television floating in the river. I called the dept. for the environment and they were less than useless, telling me to go find the farmer who owned that land (goodness knows who he is or where he lives. No-one I asked seemed to know!) I called again and asked if they could handle it for me and they said no. Meanwhile, that TV was on its way downstream, and wouldn't take long to go to someone else's "land", so the first farmer would just shrug and walk away even if I had been able to locate him! By the time the second farmer was located, that TV would be another 5 miles away!

I have seen Macdonalds cartons and drinks containers thrown out of cars which pass on my lane....I have seen it up in trees....and plastic balloons strewn about the fields that say "happy birthday" etc. And that is in a quiet beautiful rural place.
Whatever I see I pick up to recycle or burn if I can get at it. But WHY are people doing this?? Why don't they care? What is this in human nature?
Quote: I have seen Macdonalds cartons and drinks containers thrown out of cars which pass on my lane....I have seen it up in trees....and plastic balloons strewn about the fields that say "happy birthday" etc. And that is in a quiet beautiful rural place.
Whatever I see I pick up to recycle or burn if I can get at it. But WHY are people doing this?? Why don't they care? What is this in human nature?
This is it exactly. Why are we doing this. Why do we throw garbage away without a thought about where it goes.

Great statistics LPC. Clearly some countries are a serious threat to the rest of the planet. I am surprized by some of the countries that are bad. I expected more of countries like France. I am glad to see Canada is not on either list. However, even though we are a big country we have a small population. Even if we failed in garbage management we still put out less than a country like China.
China and the USA seem to be the worst when you look at both lists. There are other countries that need to improve, but they do the most damage. Since the oceans are shared the rest of the world has a right to be upset.

We need to wake up as a species and change our ways. We have built a lifestyle based on wasting and consuming and discarding.
It can't go on. It is not just the loss of marine animals because of plastic, we are putting our own health at risk because of plastic. Unhealthy oceans could produce less oxygen. If we were planting lots of trees we might be okay, but we are also still busy doing acts of deforestation. One way or the other we are in trouble. We just don't know it yet and most people are not interested.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine