Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Millions of animals are dying from the Australian fires
Quote:A staggering 1 billion animals are now estimated dead in Australia's fires. 

The blazes, which have been burning across Australia for months, have razed homes and wiped out entire towns. Across Australia, nearly 18 million acres of land have been burned -- much of it bushland, forests and national parks, home to the country's beloved and unique wildlife.

The team at the University of Sydney came to their conclusion by using estimates of NSW mammal population density in 2007 in order to estimate how many animals have been affected by the 4.9 million hectares (12.1 million acres) that have been set alight in the state this fire season. It's a pretty good estimate, Hochuli said -- but until the fires stop, they have no way of surveying exactly how many animals have died. And since the density figures excluded some species of bats and frogs, "the true loss of animal life is likely to be much higher than 480 million..

Koalas and kangaroos are spread out across the country, so they're not in danger of going extinct due to the blazes. But other animals that live in niche environments and have smaller populations may have been wiped out entirely; these include the eastern bristlebird, the mountain pygmy possum and the corroboree frog.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/07/austr...index.html

My goodness, so sad..  22
This is the worst natural disaster the world has  ever seen. It is still ongoing so we don't know how much damage is going to be done before it is over. The loss of life and habitat is staggering. If I think about it I am overwhelmed by grief. Whole species are going to be gone. Many will be at risk and may not recover. Many little babies would have died in their mother's pouches as they desperately tried to get them to safety.  We will never know how many have died. 

All we can do is focus on saving what can be saved. There are heroic efforts being made, but this is such a massive disaster that it is not yet under control. This is what climate change has brought us. At my end of the world I watch glaciers shrinking and sea ice disappearing. We are in trouble. Australia is bearing the worst of it right now, but the whole planet is in trouble.

We have known this was coming for years. The signs were there and scientists have made predictions based on facts. 
Still there are people who deny climate change and refuse to take action. They will not connect what is happening in Australia to bad decisions they are making at home.

How do you grieve the loss of so much life. What type of memorial is possible. Smiley19
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine