Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dogs beaten, tied in a bag and tossed in a river in Spain
Two bike riders found dogs in bags that had been tossed in the river.  One was still alive, but the others had died. The dog was taken to a vet and has survived. The dogs are microchipped so the owner can be traced. The police are investigating.

https://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsan...m-anymore/

Apparently dog abandonment is common in Spain. Disposing of dogs is also common. Dogs that are no longer wanted or dogs that do not meet expectations are considered expendable. Sadly they are not humanely disposed of. 

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/...g-welfare/

Cruelty to dogs seems to be built into the system.

This article is angry in its tone, but it tells it like it is.

https://worldanimalsvoice.com/2020/01/21...nt-page-1/

Something needs to be one. Petitions to the government go no where if the government is supportive of the existing situation.
There need to be boycotts and even economic sanctions against a country that condones this much cruelty. 

Until something is done, there are groups rescuing the dogs, but they can't help the ones whose owners want to abuse them and kill them cruelly. 
Maybe the hunting needs to be banned completely. Maybe hunting needs to be banned everywhere. Hunting seems to be linked to cruelty to animals.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

From the second of the articles you cited, dear Catherine:

"Galgos have been thrown down wells, cast into rivers to drown, burned to death, and doused with acid. Some are left in forests, their legs intentionally broken so they can’t find their way home. “Last year we found one, and someone had gone at it with a pin hammer on the back of the skull,” recalls Marylou Hecht, director of both the U.S. branch of Galgos del Sol and of Galgo Podenco Support, a U.S.-based organization focused on facilitating American adoptions of galgos and podencos. (Podencos are a breed of hunting dog facing similar mass abandonment in Spain.)

And then there are the hangings. Dogs who have performed well in competition but are no longer in top form may be hanged high from a tree—a relatively quick death. Those who have embarrassed their galgueros by racing poorly may also be hanged, but low to the ground so their paws barely touch. Their desperate scrabbling for footing as they slowly choke to death is called “piano playing,” Christman explains."

This leaves me feeling sick and ashamed to be a human. Yes, there are plenty of good humans - some are rescuing these poor dogs - but the cruel ones make me feel sick physically. I sometimes wonder whether the world wouldn't be better if there were no humans on it.
Quote:This leaves me feeling sick and ashamed to be a human. Yes, there are plenty of good humans - some are rescuing these poor dogs - but the cruel ones make me feel sick physically. I sometimes wonder whether the world wouldn't be better if there were no humans on it.

This situation certainly reveals the worst of humanity. 

Think about it. Dogs that fail to meet expectations are killed cruelly. Dogs that win are killed less cruelly. Whatever the dogs do they will be subject to cruelty.
This should make us feel sick. It is a sick situation. 

Right now humanity could go either way. We have people who are clinging to old cruel ways. We have people who are trying to do good and be humane.
If we don't push forward towards the good, we will settle back into old dark ways. Too many people are oblivious to the issues so we need to make sure they hear about them. Those of us who know must teach those wo do not know.

You raise the issue of whether the world would be better without humans. I think looking at the current global situation we can conclude that nature is also wondering if the world would be better without humans. If we do not change our behavior and continue the illegal wildlife trade we will end up with a virus that will wipe us all out. If we want to survive we have to change.

Should we survive. I think yes. There are many good humans and in the end I think we will outnumber and finally overcome the bad ones.
Think of our dear, absent friend, the Noble Knight. A species that could produce such  fine, gentle person should survive. We just need more people to be like him.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine