Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cow escapes slaughter by going down a water slide
A cow wanting to escape slaughter ran to a nearby waterpark and climbed the waterslide. The cow partly went down the slide on its own. Then the cow got stuck and had to be pulled into the water to be rescued. The farmer has decided to keep his cow as a pet.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/4065993/cow...armer-pet/

The escape worked! It must have taken some desperation to climb a water slide and then to go down it. It was enough to save the cow's life.
After what the cow did it deserved to live. Of course, so did all the other animals at the slaughterhouse. If this cow's story makes people think about that, then it has done a lot of good. I hope the cow lives a long and happy life.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

"After what the cow did it deserved to live. Of course, so did all the other animals at the slaughterhouse. If this cow's story makes people think about that, then it has done a lot of good. I hope the cow lives a long and happy life."

Indeed. I have seen all sorts of nonsense written about animals over the years: that they don't feel fear, don't understand what death is, that it is OK to eat them because they are "inferior", etc....

The article you cited shows how wrong some people can be. Plus:

What if one day vastly more intelligent beings from elsewhere in the universe arrived and started to kill us humans for food - on the grounds that humans are "inferior" and can therefore be used for consumption? Would we think that it was OK? I doubt it!
Quote:What if one day vastly more intelligent beings from elsewhere in the universe arrived and started to kill us humans for food - on the grounds that humans are "inferior" and can therefore be used for consumption? Would we think that it was OK? I doubt it!
This has been the subject of many science fiction stories. Some of them are quite frightening, and so they should be. Other beings start rounding us up as food and we are helpless to stop them. Maybe cows feel the same way. Other beings (us) round them up and kill them for food. They definitely feel fear. There are many stories of animals escaping the slaughterhouse and running in desperation. There have been young pigs that have jumped off of trucks  bound for the slaughterhouse. They landed on the highway in the middle of traffic. They knew that truck wasn't going anywhere good. Anything else couldn't be worse. 
We might try and fool ourselves into thinking that animals don't feel or care, but there is way too much evidence that they do. Only a cow desperately running from death would climb a waterslide trying to escape.
Catherine

I think the slaughterhouse should be closed. What do you think?
The problem is deeper than that. We need to rethink our whole relationship to animals. Closing one slaughterhouse won't change anything. 
Minimally we need to move away from factory farming that puts animals in such terrible situations.
Catherine