Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biodiversity Loss in the 21st Century: The Sixth Mass Extinction
Quote:What funding do they get....for instance, do you know what the funding source is for the Toronto Zoo? Do they depend on charitable donations, fundraising ventures, or are they government funded?

I have never asked that question before and honestly don't know....so forgive me if it's a silly question I should know! [Image: smiley4.gif]
I  think it is all of the above and revenue from admissions and sales of food/souvenirs and adoption programs.
There is a certain amount of corporate sponsorship of certain exhibits and programs.

What Jersey Zoo has done is a perfect example of what zoos are doing for conservation. They educate people and they actively save species. Species like the gorillas are an inter zoo cooperation. Careful decisions are made about breeding and bloodlines.
Gorillas are transferred to zoos after careful consideration. They want to keep a healthy zoo population and they want to be careful to avoid inbreeding and to maintain as much diversity as possible within the captive population.

There is a healthy population of Komodo Dragons in zoos. Considering that they live in such a small part of the world, one disaster could wipe out the whole wild population.
If we had to we could put Komodo Dragons back into the wild.

Some of the captive bred Vancouver Island Marmots have been returned to their natural environment. They are totally a conservation effort. Toronto Zoo does not even have them on display and probably never will.

Climate change and its possible effects is a big subject. It perhaps needs to be another topic altogether.
We know the gulf stream is being effected by global warming. We can see changes in weather patterns.
I don't think we have certainty about what will happen. Weather/climate patterns from the past may not apply. Humans have added another extreme variable that may change outcomes in  ways we have not predicted.

It is worth looking into and considering, but only time will tell us what will happen.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Messages In This Thread
RE: Biodiversity Loss in the 21st Century: The Sixth Mass Extinction - by Catherine - 06-27-2018, 04:21 PM