Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
should I bring her in?
I am glad that worked out. Everyone will be happier and Ariel would be better alone when she delivers anyway. If she was bonded with the other girls they would have been fine, but trying to bond with strangers and be pregnant is a bit much for an expectant mama pig. How soon is she due?

I am sure Spike is the happiest guinea pig ever. Three girls to live with all at once! Is he trilling to them. Heart
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(01-04-2015, 06:10 AM)Catherine Wrote: I am glad that worked out. Everyone will be happier and Ariel would be better alone when she delivers anyway. If she was bonded with the other girls they would have been fine, but trying to bond with strangers and be pregnant is a bit much for an expectant mama pig. How soon is she due?

I am sure Spike is the happiest guinea pig ever. Three girls to live with all at once! Is he trilling to them. Heart

I'm not sure when she is due to be honest. I'm almost sure that when they have a back to back pregnancy like this the babies tend to be born a lot sooner than the usual 68-72 days. When Minnie had her second litter, she was showing a lot earlier than they usually would do and the babies came earlier. I tried to work it out but the earliest a boar would get a female pregnant I would have thought would be at 3 weeks? So, going on that assumption, the babies were a lot earlier than 68 days. So, I'm guessing the same would be with Ariel. We will just have to wait and see.

Spike is definitely happy with the girls and they seem a lot happier with their new roommate. He was happily chasing them about this morning and all of them were pop corning all over the place. Smiley4
Quote:Spike is definitely happy with the girls and they seem a lot happier with their new roommate. He was happily chasing them about this morning and all of them were pop corning all over the place. Smiley4

It is nice to know that you have made someone very happy. I am sure the girls are just as happy. They will all want to have babies so you should have a full house soon enough.

My Miss Charlie had back to back litters. I planned to take the male, Lambert, out in the morning, but when I woke up she had given birth and he had already bred her. I caught them at it. Rosebert was born on Sept 2, the second litter was born on Nov, 7. That works out to 66 days, really 65 since the second birth was just after midnight. Norbert, in the same litter was conceived a day or more later and Pigbert was the father. So he was only 63-64 days and he was smaller.

It will be easier to have smaller babies and carry them a shorter time. It didn't hurt the health of the babies. Norbert is fine at 5 years old. There were only three babies.
Catherine

(01-09-2015, 02:05 PM)Catherine Wrote:
Quote:Spike is definitely happy with the girls and they seem a lot happier with their new roommate. He was happily chasing them about this morning and all of them were pop corning all over the place. Smiley4

It is nice to know that you have made someone very happy. I am sure the girls are just as happy. They will all want to have babies so you should have a full house soon enough.

My Miss Charlie had back to back litters. I planned to take the male, Lambert, out in the morning, but when I woke up she had given birth and he had already bred her. I caught them at it. Rosebert was born on Sept 2, the second litter was born on Nov, 7. That works out to 66 days, really 65 since the second birth was just after midnight. Norbert, in the same litter was conceived a day or more later and Pigbert was the father. So he was only 63-64 days and he was smaller.

It will be easier to have smaller babies and carry them a shorter time. It didn't hurt the health of the babies. Norbert is fine at 5 years old. There were only three babies.

Ariel gave birth to 4 babies this morning, unfortunately one was DOA but the other 3 are doing well, and Ariel is doing well too. Just given her a big dish of veggies. Photos later x

Here they are:

[Image: 2015-01-25115400_zps2033c5a2.jpg]

And Ariel
[Image: 2015-01-25115353_zps5bfb279f.jpg]
Congratulations to Ariel. 97They are tiny little babies with so much hair, but very fine looking. Do they have crests like Ariel? To me it looks like they do. They all look the same as well. I love how they bunch together like one giant baby. Newborns are so sweet and innocent looking.Heart

Ariel is a fine looking guinea pig. Her colour is pretty and the crest is nice touch because it is the lighter colour. Will the babies turn out like Ariel? They have the light patch on the forehead(I think I see that), but right now they look dark all over. It would be okay to have three little ones like mom.

Sad about the one that was dead, but with every species that you breed there are loses. Not every one talks about it. Some of my eggs don't hatch and of those that do, some don't survive. I am sure there are many reasons, but it is hard to know when they are so tiny.
Catherine