Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A non pet person takes in 2 cats
This is actually interesting reading. The woman has never had pets and certainly never considered taking on a cat or even 2 cats.
It is interesting to see how she warms up to the idea. And I do think she warms up to the idea. She is looking at pet keeping from the outside and then somehow she starts to sound like one of us.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/fact...e24045237/

It is interesting to "see" the pet store through an outsiders eyes. I expect to walk in and buy guinea pig pellets and actually have a choice of brands. I know which one they like best. Of course there is Hedgehog Chow. What kind of pet store doesn't carry hedgehog chow? Don't even get me started on the varieties of hay available.

I guess to a non pet person it is a strange world and they must feel lost.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

That must have been a bit of a culture-shock at first, but it sounds as if she is getting used to feline companionship now!
It helps I think, when a person has grown up with animals around. The only period of my life when I didn't have an animal in the house was from about age 18, when I left my parents' house, to age 26. First four years I was a student, and then living and working in London, and doing a lot of travelling.
But we lived in a block of flats, and one morning a neighbour's cat chose my bed to have her two kittens. We kept the kittens, and I've always had an animal since, except for 2 years between my Jack Russell passing, and meeting Misty. Even now, when I don't literally have my own, I have a cat by proxy!
You and I have always had animals. Even for the short periods when we didn't actually have an animal, we were just between animals.
You consider all the birds and animals around you to be part of your life.

This woman is clearly not an animal person. She took the cats in to be kind. Culture shock is the right word for it. I think the pet store was a real culture shock for her.
I found it interesting to hear how her tone changed in the article. She expressed all the things that were odd and uncomfortable for her, but in the end she was feeling like the cats are part of her life.

It is a real transformation.

I never thought about what a pet store must look like to a non pet person.Smiley4
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine