Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pet dangers in the home
I came across a very good list of dangers for our pets that are quite common in the home. There were some I had not thought of.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/pet...se-5832111

It is always good to be safe and not sorry. A little caution can save your pet from illness or even death.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Good thread, Catherine. Maybe it is worth being a sticky? This article reminds me of when I was a teenager and our dog, Dazzle, ate part of a one pound note. Luckily, he had no adverse effects. My father even succeeded in going to the Bank of England and getting the remaining part replaced by a new note! (On the form he said it asked: "How was the note damaged?" Answer: "Chewed by dog and partly swallowed". Question: "Where is the missing part of the note?" Answer: "Inside stomach of dog".)
(06-07-2015, 06:23 PM)LPC Wrote: Good thread, Catherine. Maybe it is worth being a sticky? This article reminds me of when I was a teenager and our dog, Dazzle, ate part of a one pound note. Luckily, he had no adverse effects. My father even succeeded in going to the Bank of England and getting the remaining part replaced by a new note! (On the form he said it asked: "How was the note damaged?" Answer: "Chewed by dog and partly swallowed". Question: "Where is the missing part of the note?" Answer: "Inside stomach of dog".)

79 That is so funny LPC!

Greedy Dazzle! That's what you'd call a 'high maintenance dog'!
Quote:Good thread, Catherine. Maybe it is worth being a sticky? This article reminds me of when I was a teenager and our dog, Dazzle, ate part of a one pound note. Luckily, he had no adverse effects. My father even succeeded in going to the Bank of England and getting the remaining part replaced by a new note! (On the form he said it asked: "How was the note damaged?" Answer: "Chewed by dog and partly swallowed". Question: "Where is the missing part of the note?" Answer: "Inside stomach of dog".)

It would be worth making it sticky. People lose pets every year because of things they did not know were dangers.

Dazzle had expensive tastes. I wonder how often that cause of damage was used. I know if my guinea pigs got near paper money they would eat it all.
At least they didn't ask for proof of the missing notes location. Smiley4
Catherine

Keep your pets safe year-round at home.. Great tips!
I thought it was a great article. If anyone can think of any other dangers, please add them to the list.
Catherine

One thing I have always thought could be dangerous for dogs is -smooth flooring!

Laminate wood flooring is very popular. Most people have it. It looks nice, is easy to keep clean etc. But I have seen so many dogs slip and twist their legs and bodies on it, when playing games, or when jumping down from a couch or something.

Unlike cats, dogs have claws always extended, and even if their claws are kept trimmed, their footing is always unstable on smooth flooring.

Even when a dog walks across a smooth floor slowly, it's possible to see it is making compensation for its unstable footing. Over the years that can put strain on joints and ligaments.

A torn cruciate ligament (in the knee) is a very expensive surgery, and sometimes the other one can go too. Then there all the other strains and injuries which can happen from slipping or twisting badly.

That can be especially dangerous on stairs.

Putting non-slip mats down where the dog mostly goes is a good idea.

I was tempted to put laminate wood flooring down in my cottage a few years ago, but chose natural grass mat instead through the downstairs area, because of my dog. (That smelled so beautiful too and is not a nightmare to keep clean.)
You make a good point about smooth flooring. It is not all that safe for people. I can see how it would be dangerous for a dog.
I would think the laminate flooring could be textured more to make it pet safe and senior human safe.

Quote:I was tempted to put laminate wood flooring down in my cottage a few years ago, but chose natural grass mat instead through the downstairs area, because of my dog. (That smelled so beautiful too and is not a nightmare to keep clean.)

What is natural grass mat? I know what it sounds like, but I would just be guessing.
Catherine

Sorry Catherine....I forgot to reply to you!
It is woven natural grass, very thick, and it is woven squares which are joined together to form large pieces. I ordered about 20 (I think) of these large pieces, and that covered the whole of my downstairs area. It is very hard-wearing, and at first it smelled so gorgeous, but the smell has left now. I bought it from a company online in 2011 and they delivered. I only had to lay it, and 'hem' it around certain curves. I used a special string and a blanket-stitch, using a very large needle to do that. Misty thought the laying of the floor and the moving of furniture was very boring indeed. But she liked the matting.
It is still looking nice, over 4 years later. Vacuuming with the small brush attachment keeps it clean. If there are ever irredeemable spillages, I have about 2 spare swathes which could be inserted if needed. It probably wouldn't suit every busy home but it is okay here.
It does sound lovely. It would give you a natural cottage feel. It sounds practical and easy to care for and if you ever have to remove the flooring it can probably be completely composted.

Of course my guinea pigs would eat it, but not every one has guinea pigs.
Catherine