Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going Green with your pet
If everyone planted a few trees in their lifetime the whole planet would be better off.
I am not familiar with the term brush hog, but I am pretty sure I wouldn't like it.

I like your version of the farm better. Do you get walnuts from the trees yet? Even if you don't, the trees provide climate control and flood control and they give you oxygen. They are homes for birds and critters and generally look beautiful. I think the big trees can still bring water up if you hit a drought spell and that helps. Everything about trees help make life better. I think they are even using tree planting to reclaim desert areas. If you can get trees established they stabilize an ecosystem.

I am sure the goats are better grazing in the semi-shade between trees than out in a bleak open field in the heat.

Quote:Wouldn't it be hilarious if the stuff that has brought me to the brink of insanity, could somehow provide my retirement?!?!
...and the beat goes on.....
Stranger things have happened. What has Bock found out about Beefsteak plants. Did you say you eat it? Do you cook it or is it eaten raw.
If you can find out who wants it maybe you can find a way to sell it.
It could be cut, bundled and shipped. If it is medicinal then you might get a good price from some health food stores. Put an organic label on it and the price goes up. We would have a good laugh if it was your retirement nest egg after all the trouble it has given you.Smiley4
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I'll bet we have more than 50 walnut trees, ranging from very old to young sapplings. They have been producing walnuts as long as we've been here. Every other year they produce in mass quantities. This year is their off year so we won't be picking them up to sell, thankfully. It is back breaking work and the pay is not great. Mostly we just do it to get the yard cleaned up. They are definitely ankle breakers. This year there is just enough to keep the squirrels happy.

A "bush hog" or "brush hog" [not sure which is actually correct] is just like a huge mower. It cuts down everything in it's path.
[Image: m0223.gif] Come join the fun! [Image: m0218.gif]
mypetsonparade.com
Quote:A "bush hog" or "brush hog" [not sure which is actually correct] is just like a huge mower. It cuts down everything in it's path.

I am glad you don't do that any more. So many little animals are killed by those things because they can't get away fast enough. Snakes don't stand a chance. So many good plants are wiped out.

I am glad you have let your walnut forest grow. Can you eat the walnuts. The idea of an unlimited supply of walnuts seems like heaven. They are really expensive right now.
I bet what you sell them for is not even close to what I end up paying for them.

I wonder why they produce every second year. Do all walnuts do that?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine