Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glow in the dark turtle!
I have seen bioluminescence and it is really interesting and beautiful. I saw it in algae at night when the tide was coming in. The waves were glowing in the dark. It was an amazing sight.
I know there are other sea creatures that are bioluminescent. Usually it is coral and things like that. I can imagine the surprize when they saw a glowing turtle. It is amazingly beautiful.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/bioflu...95?cmp=rss

There is more going on in the ocean than we have even begun to know. You have to ask why things glow and how many more of them glow. Just what does the ocean really look like. Clearly it is a mystery that we are only starting to look at. I hope we do not poison the oceans beyond repair before we come to know them.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

That's a real pretty turtle.
What a beautiful turtle!

I once had logs which glowed in the dark. Their light faded after a few days of being inside the house. I found out it was caused by a luminescent type of fungus on the wood. The more the fungus dried out, the less it glowed.

Oddly I have a spare pair of pink Wellington boots. They also glow in the dark and am sure they are not meant to....
On a black night, they look like ghostly feet manifesting in my porch!
I wonder if your wellingtons got some of the glows in the dark moss on them.

There are a lot of things in nature that glow in the dark. That glows in the dark incoming tide was quite spectacular. If I was not a night owl who likes night walks I would have missed it. If they hadn't been looking for other glowing creatures they would have missed the glowing turtle.

I wonder what other things we will find that glow.
Catherine

Amazing!!
My favorite thing in the world [next to groovy lights] is 'glowy' stuff. Both in nature, and I will admit, in the material world. Blush
Anytime I see glow-in-the-dark stuff in the store, I want it, lol!! Smiley4
Needless to say my house gets very interesting after dark. Smiley16
I will say though, the things that glow naturally are the best!!
[Image: m0223.gif] Come join the fun! [Image: m0218.gif]
mypetsonparade.com
Oh....do you have a link to the "glow in the dark incoming tide" Catherine. That is something I would like to see. Was it caused by bio-luminescent plankton or something?

No, the Wellies just glow with that eldritch light....whitish-green....from top to bottom. I don't think it's caused by moss, or anything I have walked in. I think it's just some intrinsic nature of the plastic (or silicone) or the substance they are made of.

I love glow in the dark stars, Animal Family! Especially tiny ones which you can stick on the ceiling, to make Constellations.
This is like what I saw, but I was actually hundreds of miles north of there. I think the cause was the same.

While we are looking at amazing things you have to see these.

I like shiny things. Anything that glows in the dark, like fireflies, is fascinating.

Natural things that glow are amazing. I think we are just barely finding out about what actually glows in the dark. I kind of hope there are no glows in the dark snakes and yet I think I would want one.
Catherine