Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marriot Hotel refuses family fleeing hurricane...because they have pets.
The Columbia Marriot Hotel refused a family of five a room because they also had two dogs and a cat.
Considering that the family was fleeing a destructive storm, surely the hotel could have bent the rules.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

The family was very upset and posted an angry Facebook page that went viral. In response the Hotel chain has apologized and changed its no pets policy.
It pays to complain. Now all pet owners can benefit.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

That is one of the benefits of a capital-driven society. Companies can, and will, respond positively when pushed to do so by public opinion (as otherwise they could lose a lot of customers).

From the comments below the article, Catherine:

"I will never forget evacuating to Memphis the day before Katrina hit, driving up with my three cats and my mother's dog. My father ranting all the way that the Peabody Hotel was NOT going to allow animals, and having an ache in my stomach and a sense of panic. We had nowhere else to go because we had waited so late to leave. I remember trying to hide their cages from the bellman with my clothes. And then we entered the lobby---and I saw and heard the barks of Goldens, and Labs, and saw birds, and cats, and the desperate faces of families like mine just thankful to be welcomed. And I also remember, the following day, when the levees broke, riding in the elevator with a family whose children were in tears because they had left their dog in the yard. It was heart breaking. Thank you Peabody Hotel."

Now THAT'S what I call a hotel!
What a wonderful place the Peabody Hotel is. They welcomed pet owners in an emergency.
I looked it up and it is an interesting hotel.
http://www.peabodymemphis.com/

It seems they have an animal tradition of their own.

If I ever make it to Memphis, I must visit the place.

Even if the Marriott only responded because they were afraid of losing business, at least they responded in a good way.
Catherine

I'm so glad the hotel changed their policy. Dogs and cats are human, too! Smile
In an emergency no hotel should turn away anyone.
I agree, it is good they changed their policy to allow cats and dogs.

I wonder how they would feel about snakes?
Catherine

(10-08-2015, 03:23 PM)Catherine Wrote: In an emergency no hotel should turn away anyone.
I agree, it is good they changed their policy to allow cats and dogs.

I wonder how they would feel about snakes?
I don't know but you'd probably need to sneak them in. lol
I have snuck my snakes onto the transit system so a hotel would be no problem. Usually if I am moving a reptile I have them in a pillow case or small container, inside my clothes. I like to keep them warm.
Catherine

I am glad the hotel saw the error of their ways. Animals are often far less of a nuisance than people. And if there ever happened to be any 'accidents' a steam-cleaner would make short work of that!
I know how much nicer it is to have animals present in any environment. (Well....I am biased.)

Your sneaking the snakes on the transit system reminds me of the day I took 2 Boa Constrictors to the post office! LOL!
Their caretaker asked me if I would like to go with him and the snakes for a 'walk' up to a little garden on the other side of town. He put them in a hessian sack, and I carried them. They were fairly still because they hadn't yet completely warmed up.
On the way he had to go to the post office, but when we got there, there was quite a queue. So I found a seat in the corner to wait for him, and had the sack on my lap.
Of course, then the snakes became warmer and started to move about in the sack. One of them was 6ft long. The other one only about 3ft.
But I smiled as calmly as I could, while holding this wriggling sack of snakes, as all the people moved past me in the queue, giving my sack curious looks.....
I have had similar experiences. I took Joe No Toes on the subway. He was in a pillow case, but he kept raising his head and looking around. I guess he could see through the fabric. People were sure I had a snake and I was trying to pretend I didn't know what they meant.
Then he pooped, big time. I had a diaper bag with clean pillow case and cleanup supplies. I had to open the case take him out, wash him off, re-bag him and clean up any mess to the floor. All in a few minutes with people watching me suspiciously. It seems funny now, but it was a little scary at the time. Joe behaved very well, but his poop timing was very bad.
Catherine