Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zoo Chef
It takes skill to cook for people. However it takes more than skill to be a cook at a zoo. They have to know how to deal with food and they have to know the needs of the animals.

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&ur..._PXQqoA5Uw

I would love a tour of that kitchen. The gelatine idea for delivering vitamins is something worth thinking about.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It would be a fascinating job.
Goodness me! What a demanding but interesting job!
The mention of 'horsemeat' may upset some. But of course those animals which are carnivores are designed to eat meat. I just hope the horses were slaughtered quickly and humanely after a good long and contented life.....
I would love the job.   It must be so interesting to figure out what to feed the animals an how to present it.  They do some serious work on animal nutrition.  I wish more people had such well thought out diets.

They know now not to let any of the animals get too fat (gorillas/komodo dragons etc.) and they keep the sugar levels down. The gorillas get less fruit and more branches with leaves.  I think we have a healthy set of animals. I also think they are learning a lot about nutrition.

I would love that job. I really like cooking/food prep and I love working with animals. It sounds like the people doing the work now, really love the job.

I have never asked where the horse meat comes from, but the carnivores do need to eat meat. I might ask if I can find someone who would know. 
I understand they go through huge amounts of crickets and meal worms too.
Catherine

Interesting topic. I am very concerned with my pet family's diet, too.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
I think we are all concerned about our pets nutrition. Can you imagine what it is like to be in charge of the gorilla diet. It is a big responsibility, but it would also be an interesting challenge.
Catherine

Glad to see so much thought going into the animals diet.

Catherine you should see if they're hiring.
I have thought about it. However, the zoo is a long way from where I live so the commute would be bad. Also, I have seniority and benefits with my job so I don't want to leave it. I would love the work, but I can feed animals on a smaller scale at home and enjoy it.
Catherine