Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warm Fall=Chubby Squirrels
We are having a long warm fall. Everywhere you look there are squirrels eating and stashing food.  They are normally chubby this time of year. However, this year they are real chubsters. They are fluffy, but under that fluffy coat lies a fat squirrel.

I am glad to have that confirmed because I thought they were looking a little tubby.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/toronto/201...earts.html

After the winter we all had last year the squirrels deserve a break. If they can get though the winter in good shape it will be easier on them.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

LOL! I have seen some pretty fat squirrels here too! Some of them live in the penthouse above me, and sound like Elephants when they wake me up at 5am!

I hope they don't slow down as a result of putting on weight....some squirrels where I live don't make it across my lane when they are too slow. There is very little traffic, but when it comes, it is either a big truck or a boy-racer. Squirrels are inclined to play 'chicken' with the traffic. I don't know why.
Maybe playing chicken with traffic is a squirrel thrill. Why do we do some of the crazy thrill seeking we do.

Our squirrels here are fat, excuse me, chubby, but when winter finally comes they will have a better time of it. They will still be in good shape when spring comes. Some years, by spring the squirrels are ragged and some just don't make it.

I am enjoying watching how hard they are working at putting away food. They are very busy. They are not taking a chance on a possible mild winter. They are ready for Snowmegedon and Snowzilla combined.  (Last winter was so bad they named our blizzards)
Catherine

Maybe it's a sign that we shouldn't be complacent about a mild winter so far....

Maybe the snow will come in January? Sometimes, the creatures know better than the weather forecasters.
I understand that the squirrels in Ottawa are even fatter.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/fat...-1.3358860
I have never seen such fat squirrels

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&e...AjrDyOCakg

I hope they are not preparing for a killer winter. I would rather think about them waddling down the street looking very fat and happy.
Catherine

The squirrels that I see here are normal weight but I can't say the same thing for myself! lol

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
Smiley4 LOL Ruth! The cat I am looking after has put on a bit of a tubby belly recently, because she prefers her warm soft bed to venturing out in the drizzle and mud. Perhaps all creatures are meant to fatten up a bit for the winter? It would have meant survival -or not, for our ancient ancestors.

I saw a very fat squirrel today! He/she raced through the tree canopy nevertheless, and no branches broke! LOL!
I had lunch with a chubster squirrel today. I gave him a shelled Brazil nut which he really liked. He came back later for some of my croissant. He sat and ate it with me. Now you know why they are so fat. He actually sat on the bench next to me eating his treat. He seemed very comfortable eating with a human so I am not the first to feed him. I doubt I was the first today.  He actually should be hibernating or living on stored food and stored fat. Every day he is awake he puts on more weight.
Catherine