Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tesla Motors produces a Vegan Car
Tesla Motors already produces electric cars. That is a very ecofriendly thing.
PETA has been after them because the cars use leather seats. So they are producing a model that uses Vegan leather.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...ue&insrc=1

If a high end car manufacturer like Tesla can  respond so well and so soon, perhaps we can hope that other manufacturers will take heed.   All it takes is one to get things started. Once people see that vegan leather is classy maybe we will see a decline in the use of leather.

I think we are seeing the beginning of change in our way of doing things. If you take all the little changes we have seen recently and think of them as being connected then this is much bigger than it seems.  When the tide first turns it doesn't seem to be moving. It takes a lot to shift the ocean, but once it is started nothing will stop it.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Yes, I am hoping they stop using animals for leather and other things. They are precious living and breathing creatures that need our protection.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
Tesla cars are very expensive so most of us will never own one. However if other companies follow their lead then more and more Vegan products should be available. There will be cheaper vegan cars.

If Vegan Leather catches on they will start using it for many things.

I understand they can use something left over from the pineapple industry to make a type of leather. It would be a good use of something that is discarded and it would stop the animal cruelty inherent in the leather industry.

I think there are other kinds of vegan leathers. We should do some research on the subject.
Catherine

Yes doing some research on that is a good idea.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
I know I have read the odd article about Vegan Leather. I will do some looking and we can have a thread about the subject.

When we start looking for alternatives we can find them. My big winter coats are not filled with feathers, they are filled with some fluffy washable product and I am quite warm enough on a cold day. The fuzzy part around the hood is not fur and it still looks good and is warm. There are lots of good choices that do not harm animals.

I am glad Tesla has chosen to do this. They are ahead of the crowd in so many ways. Let us hope they can influence other people in other companies.
Catherine

Wow! I didn't know there was such a thing as 'vegan leather'. That is a good move from Tesla Motors. They are sharp, and listen to valid criticism. Good positive response!

It is likely that in the near future, those companies who consider ecological issues and animal welfare will thrive.
Quote:It is likely that in the near future, those companies who consider ecological issues and animal welfare will thrive.
This is my thought exactly. As people's thinking changes they seek out companies that match their views.
To sell tuna now, the can must have a dolphin friendly label. We never even thought about it when I was a kid.
Shampoo and soap must say free of animal testing.  Not everyone cares, but many do and the number is increasing.
Some day companies will be fighting each other to prove they are more vegan.
I think we are seeing a real trend.  It figures that Tesla would lead the way.
I am going to look for the vegan leather articles. I know they are working on producing something good.
Catherine

I have always been a fan of the whole Tesla concept.
Always said if I ever hit the jackpot, A Tesla would be the first thing I would buy.
Now I have even more reason to admire this company!!
[Image: m0223.gif] Come join the fun! [Image: m0218.gif]
mypetsonparade.com
My neighbours son works for Tesla and he gets up everyday thinking how amazing it is to work for them.

Right now their cars are expensive, but they are really good.  If I ever win the big prize anywhere I agree with you, a Tesla would be a great choice. Mine would have to come with a driver. I am not good enough behind the wheel to get a licence.

The fact that they have a vegan model is a bonus.
Catherine