Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A moral demand for cultured meat
It seems that the news is full of the meat vs. non meat issue. One solution to the meat dilemma is to grow meat ethically from cells. They can do it and make it taste right. It will soon be commercially available.

Given the new demand for vegan products and the new products now on the market, this ethical meat will soon become a big industry.
People don't want to eat the products of cruelty, but they find it hard to change their whole way of eating.
This could be the answer that ends factory farming.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

No matter how you look at it, factory farming is an idea that is no longer acceptable. It may take years, but the whole food industry is going to change.

If they can make bacon that works they will have succeeded. People do not want to give up bacon.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

The article doesn't go into details, but I would hope that the cells can be multiplied on and on, without the need for "milking" animals for cells on a regular basis.

It would indeed be a good step forward if this "cell-multiplied, no-kill-animal" meat could be maufactured on a large commercial scale. As always, anything which diminishes animal suffering is a very positive move.

I agree that there are many who have become so brainwashed/conditioned by the meat-eating tradition (especially in the USA, where eating absolutely gigantic steaks is popular) that they would probably never give up meat on their own. This new technology could provide them with a "palatable'" option.

Speaking purely personally, the smell of meat (especially the fat) makes me feel sick these days. I associate the smell with suffering and death. But I readily agree that for the majority of the meat eating public might well find this "farmed cell" technology an acceptable alternative.

A very interesting article, Catherine!
This would work for those who just can't make changes. Some types of meat are linked to cultural events such as summer BBQs.
We are used to meat for big celebrations like Christmas.
This would be a better alternative to meat that causes suffering and uses too many resources.

I believe the cells can be grown continuously. Also animals do not have to die to give cells. It only takes a few.

3D printers could print out meat from cells cultures and have a product that people would like.

Factory farming would become obsolete.

People who don't eat meat have a different diet and would not change.

If they could grow milk it would save many cows from a life of bearing calves only to have them taken away. Think of the calves that would be spared.  If the milk was really like milk then they could make cheese and yogurt from it. It has many possibilities.
Catherine

Those are great ideas Catherine.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
I think we are seeing the future of food. 

There was a time when people fought against pasteurising milk even though it prevented the spread of illnesses.

Meat produced like this could be free of the bacteria that causes so much illness and death.

New ideas take time to catch on, but if they can make a product that is tasty and economical it could catch on and replace regular meat.  Not everybody will change, but many people are not happy about how meat is produced. This would give them a cruelty free alternative. 

I believe many people would prefer to eat cruelty free. The fact that major food producers are looking for vegan alternatives tells us that they know the market is changing.

I don't think a committed vegan would be interested, but a product like this is for the rest of the population.
Catherine

I, too, think many people want to be cruelty free. Who wants to eat something after it's been treated so badly and has suffered so much. The alternative would be good for a lot of people.

It would give people an easy, healthy way to escape from the cycle of cruelty. I  think there is a real movement to escape from eating animals that have suffered. This could be the answer.
Catherine

It's about time time they come up with cruelty free products. Many people are aware of how the farm animals are suffering now.

I think there is a real demand for cruelty free food sources. If cultured meat can help then it will become very much in demand.
Of course they need to get the texture and taste right. That might be tricky.
Catherine