Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ten animal story heros you should love
Babe of course is the best of the best. I was glad to see that Templeton from Charlotte's web gets notice. After all he saves Charlotte's egg sack.
Some I know and some I have yet to discover. I had forgotten some of them.  So much of children's literature is full of animal heroes.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

I wonder why Mr. Badger and the gang from Wind in the Willows isn't mentioned. I didn't read it until I was forty and I loved it. It is one of my favourite books.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Oh yes I absolutely love Wind in the Willows!

Then there's Lassie of course! You can still find some of the old Lassie movies (or used to be able to) on You Tube.

I really liked "The Plague Dogs" but there was a terrific amount of sadness in that too and a poignant ending which some would see as sad, but I saw as ultimate freedom and hope. But those two dogs were true heroes considering what they were up against. Moved me to tears even though it was just a story. But it's a well written animal thriller.
What about Peter rabbit and that whole family of animals. I guess they are not heroes, they are just the stars of their stories.

All our favourite stories are about animals aren't they.

My special favourite is called The Winter of the Fisher    and sadly it is out of print.  The author was badly hurt in a car accident as a young man and managed to write one book before he died. The Fisher is the North American animal that is part of the weasel/mink/pine martin family. It follows his first year and his relationship with and Ojibway who lives in his territory. You feel like you are inside the heart and soul of the animal and yet you are inside the heart of the man as well.

The Fisher stays a wild animal, but they have a bond of mutual respect and in an emergency the Fisher come to the man for help.
In return the old man feels the will to live return to him. The Fisher breaks through the man's loneliness and isolation by just being there and being interesting. 

I wish I could share the book with you.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine