Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something needs to be done and soon!
People like that do not put themselves in anyone else's place. They are very self centered. They have no empathy or insight.
Sadly there are a lot of broken people in the world who are capable of cruelty.

Some how we need to find a way to reach these people before they become so terrible.  I think people should take children's actions very seriously. The signs are there and in a child maybe something can be done. Cruel actions in a child are a serious warning sign of future problems.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

You are right Catherine, that childrens' behaviour should be observed carefully and they should be treated with wisdom if anything is amiss. That can often be seen in the games they play.
When I was four and a half years old and in my first infants' class at school, I was briefly bullied by two girls. That resolved itself OK and didn't recur. But then (and I remember this)....I started acting mean with a little rag doll which I had been given. Not violent....just mean.
And I remember my mother stopped me once and gently asked me why I was treating that little doll so badly. Then she focused my attention on caring for the doll, and feeling sorry for her because she must feel upset now and very lonely. I remember really feeling that and bursting into tears. I was never mean to the doll again.
Your mother was very wise. She recognized a problem and dealt with it in a loving manner.  I think children can be taught compassion and empathy. Certainly we need to take bullying seriously. We need to help the victims of course so they don't take things out on the more vulnerable. We need to help the bullies. Most parents seem to take the position that their child would never act that way or the other child provoked it. We need to study the children who bully and understand why.

I think we need to study the animal abusers. Who are they and why do they do it.  If they are paid to do cruel things is it because they have no other job choices.

I think it is rare that a person is cruel by nature with no other negative influences.
Catherine

I think that things can creep up if they are not nipped in the bud at an early age. Children are maybe only responding to influences they have endured or experienced, and are not often 'bad' at heart if they are guided well. Children go through a whole range of inner possibilites, as they adjust to the world and how to live in it. They are also very experimental.
But as time goes on, the heart can harden, and so they can grow that way.
Many of us harden our hearts when it comes to eating meat or considering what slaughterhouses are like. We block it off. I know. I used to many years ago, so know what that feels like. Well in the same way some people block off an animal's suffering and cannot empathise with it. It would be possible to get to that point through de-sensitisation.
I actually do feel some pity for them because there is nothing worse than having your heart frozen over. It is the most unpleasant pain. Those who are numb don't feel it but I have felt it, and also felt when the feelings start to come back. I honestly think it would be easier to have a leg amputated.
A lot of people were raised to consider animals as lesser beings to be used. Exposure to cruelty eventually desensitizes people. especially when it happens to children.  The only way to change this is to bring the truth to people when ever possible. Teaching children to care about animals and to care for animals is an important step away from  cruelty.

We need to have most of us caring. Right now there are too many who don't care.
Catherine