Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
City declares Day of the Honeybee
The Canadian city of New Westminster, B.C. has declared May 29 as day of the Honeybee. They are trying to make a bee friendlier city by creating bee awareness.

The list some simple things you can do to help the bees.
1)plant a bee friendly garden
2)provide bee safe water
3)let the dandelions grow

These are all good suggestions and we can all do them very easily.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=1&at=dt0

I hope other cities follow their example and I think we all should celebrate May 29 as Day of the Honeybee.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I too hope other Cities follow suit as it will bring awareness of the importance of bees.
On Sunday May 29 there is a big plant sale in the park near me. There will be a lot of Milkweed on sale. There will also be a special sale of local wildflowers and shrubs. These are all bee friendly plants.  Last year there were special Bee displays. They had instructions on building bee habitats and how to make your garden bee friendly.

I plan to celebrate Day of the Honey Bee by attending the sale. The plants I bought last year are doing well.

http://thegreenpages.ca/on/2016/04/nativ...y-7-14-29/

There is a real interest in keeping native plant species alive at the same time as we work to keep our bees alive.
So on Day of the Honey Bee I will be out there celebrating.
Catherine

What a good idea.

I know you already have Milkweed (to encourage the Monarch butterflies)

The flowers that we plant are so important -even many 'weeds' ought to be allowed to grow, especially on abandoned land. The bees need them. But for city bees, the gardens that people plant are so important. City bees apparently do far better and are healthier than country bees, because they have a good range of nectar forage.

It's good to hear Toronto is backing things like this.
Everywhere I look there is milkweed growing.  Many gardens are being planted specifically for the bees and other pollinators. The bee friendly flowers are not as showy, but they are worth it to the bees. I have flowering shrubs that produce berries so I have a range of foods in my garden.

There is no doubt that the cities are saving the bees. We have created safe places for the bees to live and build hives. 

I think of everyday as day of the honeybee.
Catherine