Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pit bulls and breed bans
Some areas have breed bans. In particular pit bulls get banned. It is thought that this will make people safe from dog attacks.
Ontario has a pit bull ban and there are more dog bites than before the ban. So it is not the Pit bulls that are the problem.

Pit bulls have been in the news lately. Sadly a woman in Quebec was killed this week by a neighbours pit bull.
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...rfd1ivvCPA

Clearly the dog was a problem and it is sad that the woman was killed.
However the gut level reaction calling for a pit bull ban is not the answer.

People marched to protest a possible pit bull ban. People with pit bulls as pets do not want to lose their beautiful pet because of the actions of one dog.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

Unfortunately there was another pit bull incident this week on the west coast.  Four women tried to break up some fighting pit bulls and the dogs turned on them.
http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

All these incidents just renew the fears that have led to pit bull bans elsewhere.

It will be a sad day if it happens because many beautiful loving dogs will die because of the ban. People will still get bitten by dogs. Sometimes it will be the owners fault, sometimes it will be the bitten persons fault and some times it will be the dogs fault. What it isn't is the fault of a specific breed.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It is so sad. I know someone in New Jersey who has a whole brood of pit bulls, and they are so sweet and gentle. It's not the breed, I think, it is the way they are raised, and the competence (regarding dog understanding generally) of the people who have them.

The only problem I can think of with pit bulls, is they do have a terrier instinct, and they have strong jaws that are inclined to lock when they bite. So if  a bite comes from a Chihuahua, it will let go....but if a bite comes from a pit bull, they find it hard to let go.

They are banned in Britain, but Staffordshire Bull Terriers are very similar. Every single Staffy I have ever known has been a good dog.

Not all German Shepherds or Rottweilers/Dobermans have "guard dog" tendencies either! Some are very gentle and very friendly, and wouldn't have a clue how to be a "guard dog".

Breed prejudice is unfair. The individual dog should be assessed. I hope a 'cull' law doesn't happen.

Misty could be quite fierce in some ways (when the occasion suited) Fortunately she would do anything for me in an instant, and was completely controllable. But she had a fierce streak....nevertheless. And she was a cross-breed (Vizsla? Labrador? with something nice and smaller.) Not a pit bull!
The breed bans always end up causing the deaths of many fine gentle animals. People still get bitten because the breed ban gives them a false sense of safety.

What is lacking is training on how to handle a big dogs and train them properly. Also people have no idea how to approach an animal. Most dog bites are provoked by the people who get bitten. They do not respect the dogs boundaries and they do not recognize the signs that the dog is distressed by their behavior.

There have been some sad cases of young children killed by dogs. Usually the young child is alone with the dog. That is a bad idea and no one knows what really happened. A young child alone with a dog is not a good idea.

Misty had the right attitude. A dog is supposed to defend and protect its territory, but she trusted your judgement in all things.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine