Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yulin Update
We all know the festival took place. Smiley19 It is going to take more time to stop it. 

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

Some dogs were saved.
http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...156&at=dt0

It is hard to know about this event and not be able to stop it.  There were positives. Much of the meat was eaten inside and not out in public like previous years. Yulin is not as popular as it was. It may still be strong in the minds of some people, but there is strong opposition to it. We just have to keep pushing.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Thanks for the update. I noted this from the last article you cited:
"The Yulin Dog Meat Festival was only started in 2010 as a way to boost the area's dog meat trade. Prior to the festival, the city did not have a history of consuming dog."

Money seems to be the motive here - and to get plenty of that, the organisers are pushing the ridiculous superstitions that dog meat "wards off the heat" and "a dog which has suffered greatly is more tasty".

But I have a feeling the writing is on the wall for this cruel festival. Internal protests are increasing and eventually the Government there will have to impose a ban.
I know the festival is fairly recent idea. And there is not a long-standing tradition of eating dog meat in China. I am sure there have been instances in the distant past when people have done, but so have there been in other countries, usually when people have been reduced to survival situations (such as during the Russian revolution etc, when sometimes even dead people were eaten!)
In the early 1970s I was friends with a Chinese girl my own age, who had come to study in the UK. (I never asked the politics of that!) However we were both interested in authentic Chinese food. Even though I ate meat then, there was never any mention of dog meat as a particular tradition.
This is another one of those "traditions" that is not actually a tradition. When you want to push an idea, claiming long standing tradition gives it credibility.  So they claim tradition when it comes to eating dog meat. That gives the practice seeming credibility.

I have never heard mention of dog meat by anyone who left china years ago. It is only certain areas and certain people that actually eat the dog meat.
I can't imagine who thought up the idea that killing the dog cruelty improves the flavour. Even if this were true what decent person wants flavour at the expense of animal welfare.

I think you are right about the festival coming to an end. There is so much outrage against it that most people will not want to be part of it.

The government will have to act because of health and safety concerns. If everyone keeps pushing the festival will come to an end.
I look forward to that day.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine