Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
6,000 tadpoles going home!
The Toronto Zoo has been breeding Puerto Rican crested toads in a desperate effort to save them from extinction.
Working with around 60 adults the zoo has been able to return 145,000 toads to the wild. They are now not just in one location which was a very vulnerable situation. They are in three locations. That is much safer for the species.

This has been a good year. There are 6,000 tadpoles ready to be returned to their native home in hopes of expanding the species numbers in the wild.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

It is remarkable and very heartening the number of conservation efforts that are going on right now. In many cases they are having great success. Many species will survive because we are fighting to keep them alive.

I wish the 6,000 every success in their future. I know they won't all survive, but I hope that many of them do make it.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Amazing, what this group is doing!
I wish them every success and it sounds like so far they have been quite successful.
[Image: m0223.gif] Come join the fun! [Image: m0218.gif]
mypetsonparade.com
It is amazing to think of all those tadpoles getting a start here in Canada and then going home to live out their lives. Another species will survive because of our help. Humans have caused a lot of species to die out, but we are also saving species. I hope it is enough.
Catherine

Great work, Toronto Zoo! I am pleased to hear a zoo is responsible for saving endangered species in this way.
Happy tadpoles....going home.
Toronto Zoo is involved in rescuing and returning a number of species to the wild.  The big zoos are very active in saving endangered species.
The trumpeter swans have been extinct in Ontario for some time and the zoo has been part of re-introducing them to the area.
They were able to get swans from a west coast population. The numbers have multiplied and they are spreading out. Some day it will be possible to see a wild swan flying overhead.

I should see if I can find a list of species being saved by zoo breeding programs.  It is an incredible list.
Catherine