Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expensive coffee equals cruelty to civets
That's horrible! Those poor civets! Sad
The civets are gentle creatures and they do not deserve what is happening to them. They have already suffered enough from the perfume industry.

I guess ethanol is a restricted chemical. It is so similar to vodka, but I can see why ethanol would be better. You have me wondering about what might work.  Oil isn't enough of a preservative.

Could you make vanilla scent from the vanilla beans? I have never tried anything like this and now I am curious. I like vanilla and lavender together. The two scents combine beautifully.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I am not totally sure Catherine, if steeping vanilla pods in Vodka would extract enough of the scent. I know it works better with resins such as pine, cedar, myrrh etc, as they are soluble in alcohol and not much else.

However it is always worth experimenting.

It may be that you would need a distillation process for the vanilla pods... But I have never built one and am unsure how it could be done. I did try distilling something once with a "Heath Robinson" contraption I created. All I got was a lot of steam and a damp kitchen, a very late dinner, and a lot of mess! LOL!  My husband gave up on me and watched the football. He couldn't even cook his own dinner as I had commandeered the kitchen. He ate three oranges and a bag of nuts.
There has to be a better way than Tobi's distillery! haha
It might be easier to buy vanilla oil. It is not as expensive as cleaning up a messy kitchen.

Home distilling is tough. And messy.

There is freeze distilling. The water freezes and you drain off the non water part and keep it. You need a big cold freezer and you have to do it a number of times. Gradually the liquid becomes concentrated.

I have never tried it however, but it is supposed to work.

It still might be easier to buy the oils if you can find a good source.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine