Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I help this cat?
Update on Sally...
(not such great news I'm afraid)
She is now back to racing out of her room as fast as she can as soon as she has got some food down her. If I block the door, she will stay and partially relax, and even play, but it's obvious she will not go in there if I'm not there which is a worrying development, as uneaten food stays there from when I was in the room, and it's obvious she hasn't been back in in the meantime.

I refuse to put her food outside, as so far she has gone in for food only, so I was thinking if she gets accustomed to that, she will 'come round' sooner or later.
I do put water outside though, as I guess she will not feel inspired to brave the room just for water. It would be dangerous for her to get dehydrated.
(Meanwhile however, she hasn't lost any weight, and is fit, healthy-looking and well!)

She will sleep outside (and it is lovely out there right now) but oddly, where she would actually be in more danger IF a dog turned up! When I left her today she was in a deep sleep right in the open.

I think that the other day she came in because it was so bad outside. (Or a tip from Misty?? LOL)

I am hoping she will do things more sensibly when the Autumn comes.

There is no danger at all in her room. Dogs can't get through her cat door. It is a safe haven. But she has now developed a neurotic habit about it -well past the time when any danger was there!
Cats can be so neurotic sometimes. She has developed the idea that the room is not safe. No matter how much you prove otherwise, she just doesn't want to believe it. I do not know what else you can do for her. At least the weather is warm for now. Maybe things will change when the weather changes.
Being a cat probably not.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Yes maybe you're right Catherine.
Whatever happens, Sally isn't really listening to any suggestions I make. Whatever she does will have to be her own idea in her own time.
Meanwhile when I am there I block the cat door and she spends time in there with me (not tensely, but more or less ok.) She eats and plays with two toys. I ignore her if she goes near the door, and if she jumps up on to the counter where her bed is, and where I am focused, I give her cat treats and face scratches, and she purrs. If she jumps down again I ignore her, etc.
She manages about 30 -40 minutes, then at that point I open the door as I don't want her to start to feel trapped. I stay in the room though, and sometimes she will come back, just to the door but not in.

It may change when the weather gets colder. I do hope so.
Silly Sally Cat! You are doing so much to help her feel safe. She is an odd creature. Do you know where she goes when you are not there?
Is there something going on that you don't know about.  If only you could have a camera on the room and watch to see what happens.

I am hoping the cooler weather will give her a reason to like the room again. You can't have her staying out all winter.

Maybe what she really wants is for you to move in with her in her room.  Cats get some odd ideas.
Catherine

Oh yes, I have seen evidence of her going in there for food when I am not there. No other cat goes in, just Sally. Biscuits have been eaten. Dry food isn't the best for her but she absolutely loves it. I put water in the room, and sometimes see evidence she has been drinking there too. Otherwise, there is a bowl of water outside which I refresh every day.

She is quite content camping at the moment. Some children built a "Pirate's Tent" in the garden. I have never seen the children, but see pictures they have drawn, inside the tent. Sally loves to go in there because it's shady.
She is basically doing OK. Just silly sometimes! As I say, I think that may change when the Autumn comes. (fingers crossed.)
Maybe she just loves to be outside in the summer and enjoy the warm weather. I don't blame her. Summer is too short.
She is getting what she needs for now. Come the Fall things may change.
Catherine

I am glad to report that as Autumn has arrived, Sally is being more sensible!

The other day it rained, and it rained again at night. When I went to visit her about 9pm, she was in her bed, in the little room and my arrival woke her up! She has also started to favour her fluffy warm bed as well (so many beds to choose from in there!) and that is a good sign.
I am glad to hear that Sally Cat is being a sensible cat. With winter coming she is smart enough to seek a den and of course the warmest bed.  How many beds does she have?
Catherine

1) One igloo-style bed which a neighbour gave me because it was too small for her tiny dog (it has been washed thoroughly so no longer smells of a dog who wouldn't even fit in it and only tried it once.)

2) One cat bed which I bought her as a Christmas present in 2013. Very fleecy and lovely but I think designed for a small dog because it has a 'bone' embroidered on it ! lol

3) A "Polar Bear" bed (which is a huge bean-bag cover shaped like a Polar Bear, very furry, thick and fleecy. I bent it in a certain way to make an 'envelope' for her to burrow into. Great for cold wet or snowy days and frosty nights.

4) One flat but soft bed which was her original one brought from the house.

Now I have tripled-up numbers 2,3, and 4 to make an ultra-luxurious perfect winter bed with extra padding.
Sally Cat lives in luxury. She has many beautiful beds. So which one is her favourite or does she switch back and forth.

I like the sound of the polar bear bed. It sounds very comfy.
Catherine