Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On trial for giving water to pigs bound for slaughter
This is such a strange case. Really the woman is being charged because a truck full of pigs bound for the slaughterhouse, stopped at a corner and she gave them water. Our Canadian law says they have to be giver water if the trip lasts more than 36 hours. On a hot day that is a long time to be thirsty.  The pigs were still killed, but she tried to give them some comfort along the way.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=1&at=dt0

Why isn't she being treated as a hero for her acts of kindness. Since when is it a crime to give water to a thirsty animal?

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...124&at=dt0

I will keep you posted if I hear anything more about the case. It is just unbelievable that she has been charged for an act of kindness.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

There just has to be an uproar about this -somehow!
36 hours without water?? In hot weather? Never mind that they were bound for slaughter anyway. That is no excuse to torture them.
The laws desperately need to be altered. I find it astounding that animal cruelty laws appear to not apply in the case of animals bound for slaughter. What do those people think those animals are? Rusty car parts on their way to the dump??

I like this:
“Let’s call the cops,” the driver says, holding his phone.

“Call Jesus,” Krajnc says as she continues to allow the pigs to drink the water.

But this makes me want to shake that man until his teeth rattle....(sorry everyone. That's me-not perfect!):
Perhaps the most contentious line in the video comes from Veldjesgraaf. He says to Krajnc: “They’re not humans, you dumb frickin’ broad!”

God bless that woman! There needs to be a revolution. And quite a few "rules and dreadful regulations" blown where the sun doesn't shine.

I noticed comments are closed on that article. You can bet they are!

Toronto Pig Save could do with all the support we can give them. Bless them all.
This is a crazy situation. It is legal to transport pigs in extreme heat without water. It is illegal to give those pigs water.
Is that crazy or what!

Toronto Pig Save is great. They are providing a presence, they are challenging people to care about animals. I see them once in a while when I am on my way to work. I always stop and talk and encourage them in what they are doing.

This trial has given the whole issue much needed publicity. It is hard for Anita to be charged like that and it will be worse if she is convicted, but it has people thinking. Most people don't know that animals are transported like that. This will force them to know.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...124&at=dt0

http://www.insidehalton.com/news-story/6...r-to-pigs/

I am so overwhelmed by the absurdity of the situation that I had stopped thinking about what actually happened.
The truck driver already had an attitude towards the protestors. He knows what he is doing to the animals is wrong so he has to be clear in his mind that it is okay to treat pigs that way because they are just pigs.  I think many people who work in the "meat" industry have the same attitude. They have to see the animals as things to be used so they can feel okay about using them.

I hope the truck driver keeps the same language and attitude in court. It is clear that he created the incident. All Anita was doing was giving water to the pigs. I guess when you make a living being cruel to animals it is easy to be rough and rude towards people.
A nice person wouldn't drive a truck of pigs to a slaughterhouse.

Now we need to get nice people to stop eating the pigs. That is the only way to stop this.
Catherine

I presume the cruel 'rule' about not giving them food at all, or water unless they are more than 36 hours in transit, may be because they don't want them urinating and defecating (thus contaminating the meat -or rather, involving more money and man hours to get them washed down!) Not that a cold shower before being killed, and while you KNOW you are going to be killed and are terrified, would be a pleasant thing to endure anyway.

Please anyone reading this....give up bacon, pork chops, pork sausages, etc. You honestly can live very healthily without it. I know. I haven't eaten it for 37 years. Please let your Heart open to those creatures, who feel deeply, suffer, understand many things, and are said to be even more intelligent than dogs.
The only way to show our support for Anita is to stop eating pork. She has friends around her and lots of protesters. What she really needs now is for us to reject the whole pork industry.

I hope the publicity is enough to reach people who never thought about where their meat comes from. If we can just get them to cut down and cut out pork it will make a difference.

I don't know why or who thought up the 36 hour rule about feeding/watering  animals in transit. The rule has to do with convenience to the slaughterhouse, not the well being of the animals. I imagine they are dehydrated and hungry when they are slaughtered so it will be a "cleaner" situation for the ones doing the killing.

How did we come to create laws that are so obviously cruel?
Catherine