Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water for pigs trial
The trial of Anita Krajnc continues. She is charged with giving water to pigs on the way to the slaughterhouse. It was a very hot day and the pigs were suffering. She is charged with mischief.  So basically she was arrested and charged for showing compassion to animals bound for slaughter.

The case has really shocked people and has strengthened the movement against animals slaughter.
Right now the trial is hearing about how intelligent pigs are and how they feel.  Getting this information on record in a courtroom is amazing.  It calls into question our whole factory farming system.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...qhlQXmS5XQ

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

This trial is bringing some powerful publicity to the animals rights movement.  I don't know whether Anita will be found guilty. It would be better is she wasn't, but bringing this story to the public is worth whatever happens.  It has certainly strengthened the fight against slaughterhouses in the area.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I have just discovered more gruesome facts. It seems that pigs are not fed for 12 to 18 hours before slaughter. See http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/live...05-065.htm

So apart from being thirsty, the pigs were no doubt hungry, too.
I know. This is terribly sad. I am sure it's to minimise 'mess' in the trucks, cut down work or workers required, and to stop the (eventual) meat becoming contaminated with e-coli etc.
Poor creatures. Why are we treating them this way? If they were humans we would -for certain -call this serious abuse....a holocaust in fact.

And what was it that driver said to the woman providing water? "They're not effing HUMANS lady!" I know these guys are just trying to earn a living and it's not always easy to switch jobs, but such an attitude to animals' lives is chilling.
It is terrible the way they transport animals. Pigs especially are poorly treated(the others are poorly treated as well)
This trial is bringing that fact to the public and it will be in the trial record. Her defence is the extreme thirst of the pigs compelled her to give them water.  Since many pigs die in transit she can make a case for what she did.

I think the trucking company will wish they had ignored her before this is over.  It has given Pig Save valuable publicity for their work. It is calling to question how we treat animals bound for slaughter. Most people did not  know an now they can't avoid the truth.

The truck roll over a few weeks ago just serves to emphasize our inhumanity. The pigs that lived were walked into the slaughterhouse and killed. There is something very cold and ugly about that. It made people uncomfortable.

We need people to be uncomfortable if we are going to change things.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine