Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Famous Author's Pets
It seems that many famous authors had pets. These pets were a part of their lives and no doubt a part of their writings. In the case of Stienbeck's  dog, part of rewriting when his dog ate the first copy of Mice and Men.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

I can think of some books I studied in school that I wish had been eaten by the author's pets.
It is interesting to see how pets have been important to so many lives.
Somehow I wouldn't have connected the particular pet to the individual author.  Although it makes sense that Mark Twain had a cat. He would be a cat person. Charles Dickens having a Raven is unexpected. His meeting with Edger Allan Poe takes on a different light. Now we know where the Raven comes from.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(12-03-2016, 04:59 PM)Catherine Wrote: I can think of some books I studied in school that I wish had been eaten by the author's pets.

Rotating LOL

I think a few snakes, Guinea Pigs and Border Collies would have fitted nicely in the Jane Austen novels.
No disrespect, but all that "Mr Darcy" stuff would have definitely been livened up by three Border Collies and a Boa Constrictor.
You got that right. A four foot free roaming iguana would have made their endless social gatherings much livelier.

I wish someone's dog had eaten the Great Gatsby.  Even the guinea pigs could have eaten it. Preferably they could have eaten all the copies and chewed up the authors pens to save us from the possibility of him rewriting it.

May be if some authors had a house full of pets they would have spared us their books and saved a few million trees as well.

I do like Stienbeck however and I think his dogs made him a better writer.
Catherine

(12-04-2016, 05:25 AM)Catherine Wrote: I wish someone's dog had eaten the Great Gatsby.  Even the guinea pigs could have eaten it. Preferably they could have eaten all the copies and chewed up the authors pens to save us from the possibility of him rewriting it.

I studied the Great Gatsby over 40 years ago and I still get bored thinking about it. I assume the use of the word great is sarcasm, because I sure didn't see any greatness. Smiley4
Catherine

I tried to watch the movie Great Gatsby and couldn't focus on it for long. I know what you mean about the Great being sarcastic!! Smile

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
Yes I tried to watch it too. I thought it might be good. I like the 1920s stuff. But oh gosh I got bored. I couldn't concentrate on it and didn't care what was happening!
Quote:Yes I tried to watch it too. I thought it might be good. I like the 1920s stuff. But oh gosh I got bored. I couldn't concentrate on it and didn't care what was happening!
Quote:I tried to watch the movie Great Gatsby and couldn't focus on it for long. I know what you mean about the Great being sarcastic!! [Image: smile.gif]
When I studied it the movie hadn't been made yet and I had to read it, yes every single page. You only think the movie is boring. Compared to the book, the movie is an action thriller. Worse my prof loved the book. It was one of his favourites. It put me at odds with him because I couldn't pretend to like it.

It probably would be a good cure for insomnia. I thought the people in the book were boring. Their lives were boring and even when they went out to have fun they had boring fun. Even the car accident was boring. There was no drama of trying to find out who did it. When we do find out we don't really care. I didn't care that Gatsby got killed and neither did anyone else in the story.

That is a book that needed some pets to liven it up. Think of how much better it would have been if Gatsby had been running an animal shelter and Daisy had come to adopt a dog and recognized him as an old friend. They could have taken long walks with their dogs and enjoyed the beautiful place where they lived. Isn't it a better book already.
Catherine