Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quebec bans ear cropping, tail docking
Starting today, the first day of 2017, it will be illegal to crop ears or dock tails of dogs in Quebec.
These are painful procedures that are done because some human somewhere has decided that a certain breed should have its tail cut off. No one has ever come up with a reason why that makes sense to me.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

This is just one province in one country that is banning pet cosmetic surgery, but when you step back and look at the big picture, Canada only has two provinces left that do allow the procedures, Ontario and Alberta. Very likely these two provinces will join in the ban soon.
Many other countries have banned ear cropping and tail docking.

There is a list in this article.
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...hS8hRavggg

This is a procedure that is painful for the dog and prevents normal behavior. There is just no good reason to do this. Certainly vets are coming out against it.
The only reason we do it is because someone in a different time with a different understanding of things decided they want to make a dog look different that it would naturally look.  There are a lot of things we have changed since those times.
I think it is time  we stopped doing something that should never have been done in the first place.

Every time another province, state or country imposes a ban we are one step closer to total victory. Change for the good comes slowly one small success after another. This is a good start to 2017.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

GOOD!
Let's hope Ontario and Alberta will follow suit!

I have also never been able to understand tail docking and always looked on it is at best -unnecessary, and at worst utterly barbaric.
The main reason for ear-cropping as far as I know, concerns fighting dogs. No one should be fighting their dogs anyway, and anyone who requires their dog to be ear-cropped is holding a huge red flag, and a great giveaway to their involvement in illegal activities.

The ONLY reason for a tail dock, or an ear crop would be a genuine medical reason.

I hope these awful 'traditions' disappear entirely.
Quote:I hope these awful 'traditions' disappear entirely.
I think you are going to get your wish.

Most vets don't want to do the procedures. I am increasingly seeing dogs who are left in their natural state. Most places will eventually ban ear cropping and tail docking. I think Ontario and Alberta are thinking about it.

The big thing will be to get the kennel clubs to change the breed standards. I think the breed standards could use a review anyhow. Some of the so called standards are unhealthy anyhow.
Catherine

It looks like Canada is heading towards banning these procedures, area by area. The worldwide situation is quite mixed; see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docking_(d...by_country
and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cropping_(...by_country

The Canada section will now need updating. England and Wales have severe restriction on tail docking and Scotland has a complete ban. France for some reason opted out of the European Convention on docking - although at a practical level almost all vets refuse to do the operation. The USA seems to be the most backward on this issue, with docking and cropping still legal almost everywhere and (worse) quite common practice.
I think Canada has to ban it province by province because it doesn't fall under the Federal mandates. Different things are handled at different levels of government. Individual cities could ban cropping and then no vet could do it in that city. They couldn't ban you from owning a cropped dog. I understand that it is only two areas of Canada that still allow it. We should be listed as a country that restricts the practice, but maybe they don't know how to sort out the province by province way we are doing it.

The American Kennel clubs are powerful. They are not going to want to change their breed standards.  I think the USA would also have to ban cropping and docking on a state by state basis.

It is odd how Europe with many countries can agree on something like the European Convention on docking and have it  cover a whole lot of countries. Canada cannot come up with one law for the whole country.
Catherine