Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A kind of telepathy....with a Crow
I am pretty sure I wouldn't have gotten some of those tests. Crows are very clever at figuring things out. They keep learning so by teaching them we are going to end up with educated crows who will teach other crows. Who knows how far they can go.

Tobi, it sounds like you are really working out communication. I wonder if he will learn words.  You can probably work out a small vocabulary.
Odd he won't leave his territory, but then he feels safe in a certain area and there may be other crows that defend their territories.
I will be interested to learn just how far your friendship will go.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

This morning I gave him a piece of seed bread. It wasn't a miniscule piece. Just the usual size.
He came down and took it and flew into the field to eat it. But oddly he came back in only a few seconds!
I knew he hadn't had time to eat it. He usually takes longer than that.
He sat on top of the electricity pole and I sensed that another crow had stolen it off him.
I don't know if I was right or not as I didn't see that happening. But he never comes back so fast like that when he gets his morning treat.
To give him and telepathy the benefit of the doubt I gave him another piece.
That he carried off too, and didn't come back to ask for another one. Just as he usually does.
I watched him with binoculars, eating it in the field. He didn't 'cache' it (as they do when they have extra food they can't eat.)

I get the sense he is pushed around a bit by the other crows and is a bit of an outcast.
I don't think your crow would try and get two pieces of bread from you. That seems out of character. He is probably getting bullied by the other crows. He really needs your friendship if the other crows are not accepting him. Crows are a social animal. It would be hard for him to be without close friends.

We need a name for him. It seems impersonal to just refer to him as the crow.  What name do you think of him by?
Something must suggest itself.

I wonder if animals, like crows, turn to people when they are having problems with their own kind. After all, people turn to animals.
It is good that you can be there and be friends with him.
Catherine

Yes, Catherine is right. He deserves a name! He can't be famous on this forum without one.

Any chance of some photos, Tobi?
If you give him a good name then it will come up on Google searches and then it won't matter that the rest of the crows don't like him. He will have his own friends.

I hope you both are enjoying the first day of spring.
Catherine

Yes I need a name. All I call him so far is "Hello Bird" and "Hello My Friend". Plus clicking noises. Don't know why I haven't been given a name. I am not very good on names. They have to fit and they hardly ever do.....
It has to be something short and sweet. "Jet" would be good, because he's black, but that name is reserved now.

LPC, I have a problem with photos now. My computer operating system always was incompatible with my phone. That means I can never transfer photos from my phone camera to my computer via USB. I accepted that, and got around it by 'messaging' the photo to my email address, where I used to pick it up and take things from there. It always worked just fine (since 2008!).
Then suddenly last year sometime, all photos would not send by message any more to any email address. I tried and tried but none would send any more.

It's a pity because there are photos and three short videos on my phone of Misty and Jet, that can never be transferred. I don't want to change my phone -apart from the sheer hassle of that -in case those are lost forever.

So no, I can't upload pictures.
I wonder why you can't send pictures. That is a problem. Is the problem with the phone?

I would see if you can get all your pictures and videos off your phone. Can you talk to the phone service provider or to the people who made the phone. It would be sad to lose photos and videos of Jet and Misty.

I am thinking about names. Hello Bird is a nice greeting, but a real name would be better. There are lots of names that mean dark or black. Do you want a short name of one syllable or two?
Catherine

As luck would have it, unknown to me at the time, I happened to choose THE phone which is incompatible with my operating system. There are articles/ posts about it all over the net. No-one has yet worked out how to get around it.
Change my phone might seem like the best solution but I don't want to run the risk of losing stuff I've got on there.

It was always okay with me because I could SMS message any picture to my email address. It never bothered me. Each picture cost only 34p to send, and I never sent that many. Then suddenly last year it stopped being possible to do that -for no logical reason.
I went on 'help' forums connected with my phone company for solutions. No solution was found and all the suggestions weren't relevant for me either, so I have given up on it.

Yes the Crow needs a name. I can't think of one! Suggestions please!

KOORI is quite a nice name. It means "black fellow" in Australian Aboriginal language.
That is too bad about the phone. Can you send the pictures to anyone else's email address?
Can you send them to another phone? The other phone might be able to do something with them.

I am looking at a list of names and there are some good choices.

Corby--means dark as a Raven and is used for male or female.
Darcy--means dark one
Kearne--dark
Keri/ Kera--Dusky, dark
Kerry--dark
Kolby--dark

There were many more. Some of them were just spelling variations. Some names would just be hard to say when talking to a bird. I think I like Corby the best. Try out different sounds and find out what works for him.  I want to be able to ask about him by name.
Catherine

My vote is for Darcy! That is....if I'm entitled to a vote, Tobi! (After all, he is your special friend). Darcy was also the stage name of my grandfather (only spelt Darsie), so I suppose I'm a bit baised in favour of that name.