Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A kind of telepathy....with a Crow
Thanks for your suggestions and votes, LPC and Catherine!

I like Darcy too....
Am pulled now between Koori and Darcy. I know a dog named Darcy whom I often meet on walks.
I think I shall have to let the Crow decide. I will test him with both names over the coming days, and see which one he responds to most.
I like the name Darcy. Who can forget Mr. Darcy in Pride and Prejudice. I had a very handsome goldfish called Mr. Darcy.
It is a fine name.

LPC, if your father had a stage name he must have been a performer. Was he in theatre? I like his spelling of the name. It is a little different.

I suppose you are right, you should see what name the bird likes. I am sure some sounds would appeal to him more than others.
I am curious to hear how he reacts when you start calling him a name.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(03-25-2017, 02:44 PM)Catherine Wrote: LPC, if your father had a stage name he must have been a performer. Was he in theatre? I like his spelling of the name. It is a little different.

I don't want to distract from Tobi's thread, but to answer your question he was called Herbert Darsie on stage. He was a song and dance person (the "old hat and cane") in the early days and then went into stage acting as well. He later became a theatrical manager (mostly musicals).
What an amazing Dad, LPC! I would so much have liked to see his song and dance routine. Did he do that from an early age? I bet that was why your mother fell in love with him! Heart  That is an unusual and interesting career. And I like the stage name. It has the right kind of 'ring' to it. What date was that and what were the popular songs he used to sing?

My Dad was a musician too, though an engineer by profession. But he was a first-class pianist and played Chopin mostly. It was a pity, because in those days he had no options as a working-class boy, to go to music school and train to be a concert pianist. He certainly had the talent for it though.

Okay I tried the Crow with "Darcey" and "Koori". He was beak-clicking when I tested his interest. Then when I said "Koori" he cawed twice. But the more I gazed at him, the more I thought "Darcey"....
I'll try again tomorrow.
Catherine and Tobi: he was my grandfather, not my father (see post 20). He was a great character, born in the 1880s and passed in the late 1970s. He used to wander about his house singing songs from musicals, such as "Brigadoon".

Tobi, it sounds like your crow prefers "Koori" as a name, if he cawed twice!
Sorry LPC. I got mixed up and mis read your post #20! Bless your Grandad! It is nice to have music in the family.

"Koori" definitely sounds good when called out across the garden. Darcey is more 'earthly', whereas Koori seems to go with the wind. We will see what happens when I experiment again in the morning.
Morning? I am on silly o' clock here. Our clocks sprang forward which means I am neither here nor there with clocks at the moment and in the middle of the night.... LOL.

Our Koori will be nagging me early in the morning for seed bread, from the electricity pole. So I am away now to catch 5/6 hours of zzz's  (thank goodness I got a night off from mouse evictions!)
LPC, I just checked back and your post does say grandfather. How did I mix that up?
Your grandfather and my grandmother were around the same age and lived about the same number of years.
My family is not musical however although I do like music and enjoy the symphony and the ballet.

I don't know if cawing is approval or disapproval. Both names have a nice sound. I am sure our clever crow will find a way to let you know. I just hope he lets you sleep in a bit in the morning.
Catherine

LPC, your grandad was born just a little before mine. Mine was born in 1894 and passed in 1974.

"Koori" (?) came for his treat this morning. He let me know he was waiting, when he heard me in the bathroom. I was going to test him with the names again. But this time he disappeared after taking his bread into the field and I didn't see him again all day. It was a warm beautiful Spring day, so I don't know if the weather had something to do with his disappearance. Maybe he's courting...? 05

....And I didn't get a night off from mouse evictions. About 5am I heard the bin-trap snap shut...clang!  So I was awake at 9 to transport him to his new Des Res. I didn't feel like going out again and walking all that way at 5am on one hour's sleep, so unfortunately he had to wait a while in the bin. But at least he had Tahini and melted chocolate to keep him company.
Maybe Koori will be bringing a family to see you some day. I know, I am jumping ahead a little.
Birds are a little preoccupied right now. They know spring is here.

Koori isn't going to let you sleep in and the mice aren't going to let you sleep at night. I hope you get a daytime nap.
I am sure a mouse in a bin with good treats can keep calm and busy enjoying them. You do need to sleep sometime. As long as the mouse can't get out I think it can wait until you get up. After all, it is an uninvited guest.

I hope you have a mouse free night tonight and perhaps Koori will let you sleep until dawn.
Catherine

Haha! I had a mouse-free night! I slept like a log. When I went out this morning, no Koori.
I cawed twice, made clicking sounds and called out his new name. He turned up from the orchard into the Ash tree, and I gave him his treat.
I am not a daytime nap sort of person. If I do that I am up all night anyway. But there have been times, especially when I've had no sleep at all the night before, when you might catch me "inspecting the insides of my eyelids"   Smiley4