Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peep peep
It sounds like Jasmine is settling in and is comfortable with everybody. All your pets get along so it makes sense that Jasmine and Suzy would be fine with each other. You are doing something right as a pet mom. All your pet babies are very secure with each other. No wonder you are a happy family.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(05-24-2017, 02:02 PM)Catherine Wrote: It sounds like Jasmine is settling in and is comfortable with everybody. All your pets get along so it makes sense that Jasmine and Suzy would be fine with each other. You are doing something right as a pet mom. All your pet babies are very secure with each other. No wonder you are a happy family.
The birdies went through a time of fighting a lot.  Allison was starting it (Jasmine would hold her own mostly) and one night I had to separate them.  I put Jasmine in Danny's old cage. I was fearful for Jasmine.  The next day I put them back together and Allison acted better.  Then Allison still was fighting with Jasmine and Jasmine starting running away from her to another perch.  I was glad for that.  That lasted for some time and finally then they started feeding each other.  Now the past 2 days they are grooming each other  a lot and look so happy together. Heart Allison still pecks at Jasmine a little bit and Jasmine moves away from her sometimes.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
I wanted to add that I have learned from other parakeet parents that the females get very hormonal, like they have PMS very bad.  They have been known to hurt other birds badly.  I am so glad that has not happened with  my baby girls.  They are acting so loving now! Heart

I suppose they had to establish who is in charge and who owns what. A lot of animals will fight with a new companion at first. They don't want to share and yet they do want the company. Separating the girls was probably the best way to handle it. It let them both think about what it would be like to be alone again.

I am glad they are getting along now. I am sure they will be happier for having another bird around. Budgies like to be in groups.
It just took some time for them to work things out.
Catherine

Maybe they were just settling a dominance thing, Ruth....who was "Top Bird" or "ruled the roost". Maybe Jasmine showing submissive behaviour has sorted it out? I hope so. But there might still be the odd squabble going on occasionally, even though they might be able to settle fairly well.
I think all cage mates squabble from time to time. They can still be best of friends and have some small disagreements.
I hope the girls are getting along now.
Catherine

Hi. They are getting along much better now. They go from perch to perch and squawk at each other. It seems they are trying to be friends and see who rules best but there is no telling who is in charge.

They could end up being equals and sharing everything just fine. I am sure they are both glad to have another bird for company. It must be nice for them to talk to each other. It is certainly more fun to have someone to play with.

Keep us posted.
Catherine

Allison and Jasmine are getting along great now. Once in a great while Allison will try to start something with Jasmine and now Jasmine fights back and that seems to have settled it. They are great pals now. Smile

That is good news. They have decided to be friends and equals. That makes life so much more fun for you. You have a big happy family. How does Suzy feel about the new bird.
Catherine