Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sled Dogs: The Cold Truth About Man’s Best Friend
Sled Dogs: The Cold Truth About Man’s Best Friend

This new documentary is creating controversy and generating anger. Sled dogs are a touchy subject.
There are a lot of good things about our relationship to sled dogs. They are very much a part of the history of the north. The Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race is very important to people who live in the north. They work hard to prepare their dogs for the race.

However there is a dark side to sled dogs. Who can forget the sled dog massacre after the Vancouver Olympics. The dogs were no longer profitable so they were killed. No effort was made to rehome them.
Sled dogs can live very hard lives.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=2&at=dt0

Like anything to do with animals, sled dog care is only as good as people choose to make it.
I think it is good that there is a movie that exposes the truth for good or bad. We need to know how sled dogs are treated before we can decide if they are alright.
There needs to be some regulations to prevent another Sled Dog Massacre.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It is deeply sad. Yet another example of humans putting animals into a convenience and servitude 'slot' for human interests, and having little respect for those who help us and serve us. I haven't watched the movie on your link yet Catherine. I shall probably watch it later. But I posted about the fate of sled dogs, re: the Iditarod race, a little while ago and know their lives and conditions are less than ideal. They are not treated with sufficient respect.
So thank you for expanding that with another report.
We have to change our attitudes towards all animals whom we use to serve us in various areas of life.
The link just talks about the movie. I don't know if it is generally available yet. This is a new movie that is looking into an old problem.

You posted about the Iditarod race. I posted about the sled dog massacre. We know there is a problem. Now with this movie everyone who sees it will know.

The whole sled dog issue would be fine if the dogs were treated well. We use dogs for other purposes and no one objects. There are lots of working dogs. Service dog are given special consideration and people respect them. Sled dogs may have been respected when they were the only form of northern winter transportation. Now they are used for rides and races and people use more modern ways to get around. I hope this movie gets people thinking. Maybe the dog owners will rethink their actions. Sled dogs could have better lives. I don't think they mind pulling the sleds, but they should be treated well when they are not working. They certainly should never be killed and discarded when they are not making money any more.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine