Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sad loss of young polar bear
Assiniboine Park Zoo will always be my home zoo. I grew up near the park. They have a wonderful polar bear study area/exhibit.
They have taken in a number of orphaned bears who would have died,
Sadly at two years old, Eli, the orphaned male has died. It is not known why, but they will do tests.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/p...-1.4207750

I just want to say how sorry I am that this has happened. Everyone at the zoo and the people of Winnipeg will be feeling the loss right now. I love my  life in Toronto, but I still feel for a loss in my home town.

The loss of any polar bear anywhere is always a cause for sadness. Smiley19
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I'm so sorry for what happen ! Do what you want to make it better for your life.
The Winnipeg zoo staff are deeply effected by Eli's death. They worked hard to raise him and give him a chance at life.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/p...-1.4208424

It is always hard when a young one dies. It is worse when it is a polar bear. There are so few bears now.
His brother, York must be feeling the loss. All the bears must be upset by the loss. It is a sad day for all.
Catherine

I am sorry to hear that little Eli passed away. I wonder why? But it is possible that even in the wild, not all young ones survive for one reason or another.

Blessings to Eli. And to his family.
I wonder if he swallowed something he shouldn't have. Poor baby gone too soon.
I haven't heard the results of the post mortem and testing. He was an orphan so maybe his immune system was weak.
He lasted a year so I think they expected him to thrive.

He could have swallowed something or it could have been an unknown infection. I am sure they will keep looking until they find a cause.
Quote:But it is possible that even in the wild, not all young ones survive for one reason or another.
This is absolutely true. There are always losses in the wild. There can be genetic causes that we didn't suspect or a heart defect that didn't become a problem until he was older. Whatever the cause, it is a sad day for all those who tried to keep him alive.
We pour a lot of love into raising orphaned animals. I feel for those that raised him. This is the hard part of working with animals. Sometimes things don't work out and the animal dies.
Catherine