Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Border Wall" threatens many species of animals
The so called border wall being built between Mexico and the USA will have a serious negative impact on the environment. Many species will be at risk if this wall is built.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/3/160898...r-wildlife

There is a lot of free movement of animals north and south in their territories. Animal "territorial boundaries" do not match the lines we have drawn on a map. This free movement is necessary for the survival of many species. That is one of the big problems of conservation efforts. Animal species span the borders between countries and require the cooperation of both nations if they are to be protected.

The ecosystems impacted by future construction are complex and fragile. It would take years of study to understand how they will be effected. All political considerations aside, the wall will cause too much damage and that needs to be looked at seriously before any work s done.

Dare I hope that common sense will prevail while things are being properly assessed.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I'm still hoping it doesn't actually happen. Trump has already admitted that Mexico wont actually be paying for the wall. So those in favor likely wont want to have to pay for it and those who think it's stupid in the first place don't want it. Last I saw Trump only had a 33% approval rate. With any luck he will do something really stupid to get impeached. He already can't be trusted to tell the truth about anything. Best case scenario we wait it out stop him from doing anything and then elect a more competent person who we don't have to worry about saying something stupid and starting a war. He's already damaged so much.
My opinion? That border wall is a crazy idea. Yes of course it is bound to be detrimental to many species of animal. Let's hope that it isn't actually going to happen. Does Mr Trump think a nice big wall is going to keep all the Mexicans out of the US? Gosh, people have been climbing Everest for a while now. A wall isn't going to stop anyone, unless there is some expensive surveillance technology and guard stations on the whole of its length. Poor old US citizens I expect will have to pay for all that?.
He would be wiser putting his attention on issues that are more important....and there are a number of those right now.
I think we are agreed that someone is doing more harm than good.  Admittedly I don't like anything he does. However the border wall goes beyond personal preference. It will actually harm the environment.  Whatever it takes we need to stop the wall being built. I think some parts of it can't be built. The terrain is rougher than you think. We can hope.

Impeachment seems like a dream. I lived through the Nixon era so yes dreams sometimes do come true.
Catherine

(08-05-2017, 02:29 PM)Catherine Wrote: I think some parts of it can't be built. The terrain is rougher than you think.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I cannot imagine cutting through rock to that extent and going up and down with the terrain for all those miles....etc. Multi-billion dollar foolishness. Maybe in a past life he helped build the Great Wall of China? Smiley4 and got stuck in the groove....
I think he has no imagination. He cannot picture what the consequences of such a wall would be. He can't picture the actual terrain. You are right he is stuck in a groove, but somehow I picture him as being a rock from the great wall, not a builder.

The money it would cost to built the eco-destroying wall would fund every climate change and ecology/conservation initiative for many years to come. Some people do not know how to use money wisely.
Catherine