Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Campers free tangled Loon
This is how people are supposed to act when an animal is in distress.(unlike the baby dolphin selfie situation)
The loon approached them because he was in trouble and they responded by helping him. Everyone worked to free the tangled loon and they all clapped when he swam off safely. They are all happy to see him healthy and alive the next day.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017...-gear.html

Humans can do the right thing. The loon must have been desperate and he must have sensed that people could help. He was right. Everyone responded the way they should when an animal is in distress. It restores my faith in humanity. They carefully freed the bird, they didn't run around taking selfies with it.

They have had an experience they will never forget and the Loon with never forget them. The  Loon story will be told in their family for generations. I wonder if the Loons will tell the story for generations too.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Now that's decent. The people helped the Loon in trouble. Good for them.
No we never really forget helping an animal in distress. Many years ago my friend and I were walking in a fairly remote place when we found a Blackbird tangled horribly in some untidy fence wire. Strands of wire seemed to pierce the bird's wings. I went to a nearby farm to ask for wire cutters, and told the farmer why. He was kind and lent them to us. Then I had to cut the bird out, being careful to leave the wire in its wings intact, while cutting it free so we could remove it.
There was an old lady in town at that time who helped injured wild birds, and we took it to her.
She gave it antibiotics and removed the wire slowly, then kept the Blackbird for a few weeks outside in an aviary. When it had recovered, we returned it to where we had found it.
I always hoped that it was okay afterwards.
I am sure the blackbird did okay. He got all the right help and was given a good recovery time.

I helped rescue an injured hawk. We were driving out of the Rocky Mountains and we saw the bird on the side of the road. It didn't seem able to fly, but it went down into the trees. I crawled through the trees to get near and distract him so my friend could throw my winter coat over him. Then I held him in my lap covered with my coat all the way back to Calgary. He was quiet and didn't struggle. We were able to turn him over to a wildlife vet. He had a concussion and had probably been shot at. There was a wound on the side of the head. He recovered and everything healed and he was later released to the wild.

We drove over 100 miles with the bird sitting on my lap loosely covered by a ski jacket and he didn't struggle and he didn't use his talons on my legs. He was quiet. I know he was injured, but he also seemed to know we were helping him. 
I remember it like it was yesterday. The ski jacket was lime green(what was I thinking when I bought a lime green jacket)

The campers who freed the loon will cherish the memory all their lives. They will feel good every time they thing of it.

I wonder how the dolphin killers feel. Every time they see a dolphin they will remember and not in a good way.
It will not be a story they will want to share with grandchildren some time in the future.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine