Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazon Nature Reserve loses its protected status
A vast nature reserve in the Amazon has just lost its protected status. That means private companies can open up mines in the area. The area is home to countless vulnerable species of plants and animals. It is home to many indigenous people. For them all this could be a disaster. When have mining companies ever protected the land. 

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0824/899584-brazil_amazon/

It will be profits over people, plants and animals. The vulnerable don't stand a chance. Since loss of any part of the Amazon rainforest area effects the health of the whole planet, the Brazilian government has betrayed us all.

Nature reserves are not just some nice idea that someone thought up. They are part of maintaining biodiversity and keeping the planet healthy. We need thriving ecosystems if we want the planet to remain habitable. 

[Image: l-41810.jpg]
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(08-25-2017, 03:13 PM)Catherine Wrote: Since loss of any part of the Amazon rainforest area effects the health of the whole planet, the Brazilian government has betrayed us all.

That puts it very well. A potential environmental disaster. Cyanide is often used in gold mining. See:
https://www.earthworksaction.org/files/p...Packet.pdf

The catalogue of crimes by humanity towards the earth is ever expanding...
Thank-you for the articles. I have read some of them. I have to go out now so I will finish when I get back. 

No matter how you look at it, our mining practices are toxic. Everywhere they allow mining it destroys the land and everything down stream from it. This destruction lasts for a long time. I don't think they know how long because they haven't cleaned the messes up yet.

So why do we need more gold? We keep mining it and people keep buying it, but do we really need so much. How much jewellery does anyone need. Now I know why I don't wear jewellery, it hurts the planet too much to produce it.

It is noticeable that many of the worst mine issues were on land inhabited by indigenous people. 

One thing I noticed in the article about cyanide is the remark that it is not known to cause cancer. Could that be because a level that could cause cancer will have already killed you. Cyanide is so toxic that you don't live long enough to develop cancer.
Catherine

Smile 
There is some good news! A judge has suspended the order that would have allowed mining.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2017/...mazon.html

This may not be over, but it is a step in the right direction. A wise judge has considered potential environmental damage and the danger to indigenous groups and has said no to mining. I am sure this will need to be fought of different levels to prevent this happening again, but for now there is cause for rejoicing.
Catherine