Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oceans losing oxygen
You will notice that I have started a new section. I get ideas for new sections all the time, but this time I think we really need it. The survival of the oceans is crucial to the survival of the planet. There are many indications that the oceans are in trouble and all the animals that live in the oceans. This is an area we need to be watching very closely.

The article I came across is very worrying(as if all the plastic in the oceans is not enough to scare us).
The oceans are losing oxygen. In the last 50 years the ocean has lost 2% of its oxygen levels. With the impact of climate change the problem will get worse. Life doesn't survive in oxygen depleted waters. Most of the world's oxygen comes from the oceans. 
Even if the situation is not an emergency right now we are still moving in a direction that is very dangerous. The consequences won't be good.

https://www.newsdeeply.com/oceans/articl...ean-oxygen

Scientists are finding ways to monitor this situation. That is a good thing. 
However we should not be too complacent. I think of it as rolling down a hill. The slope is pretty gentle and things seem to be okay, but there could be a big drop at the end or a big boulder that we are going to run into. We don't know and it is not okay to just let this keep happening. 

Hopefully the studies that are going on right now will tell us what to expect and even give us clues are to what to do to keep our oceans healthy.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine