Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sugar Glider
You don't have the proper knowledge and you've demonstrated that quite clearly in this thread. You don't know what normal behaviour is, you don't know when they reach sexual maturity, you don't even know what they eat, and I can assure you it isn't dog food or pelleted crap. They don't bring YOU into their lives. You force yourself into theirs. They are not descendants of wild animals like dogs and cats and horses. They ARE wild animals. They are actually a protected species in Australia. Keeping them alone in a cage with unnatural materials just so you can say wow I have a sugar glider, is cruel. You do things because you can, not because you should.

I'll just leave the entire forum because I'm not going to sit back and watch when it goes wrong.
I am sorry you feel so strongly about this. I am hoping you will discuss this issue in a constructive manner. If you have experience with sugar gliders perhaps you can share it with us. If you have good information about their diet it would be helpful to everyone who reads the Forum.
Remember many people read Forum posts and if you want to help, this is a good place to reach people. As always I just ask that we keep the tone friendly and helpful.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Moving on...

I've been thinking of names and hadn't had any that really stood out to me until I watched Resident Evil: Apocalypse. There was a guy named Nicholai. He's only in the movie for a short time, before zombies eat him, but I love that name and it wasn't until last night some time that I though it would be a good name for my sugar glider. Since I know that it's a boy it makes it easier to think of names ahead of time. I normally wait until I have the animal a few days before I start thinking of names but this name has been floating in my head ever since I first heard it.

It's like the blood hound/black lab mix I had a dream about a few years ago that I will eventually have, it will be a boy and his name will be Bronson.

Anyone else ever get feelings like that? Where a name just comes to you and stays on your mind.
I like the name Nicholai. It does help that you know you have a boy. Look at all the mix ups I have with reptile names.Smiley4

Sometimes you just want to use a name. I wanted to name a snake David. I tried to make the name stick a number of times, but it just didn't fit the snake. Finally last year I found my David. Daniel Pine was supposed to be David, but it just didn't fit. David I a beautiful silvery brown corn snake. I will post corn snake pictures soon.

Bronson is a good strong name. A lab/blood hound cross would be a good strong dog. I can't picture what he would look like, but he would be a strong intelligent dog. I look forward to seeing Bronson some day.
Catherine

well in the dream he was basically a black blood hound but I some how knew he was black lab mixed too. He was trained so well too. I could ask him to do just about anything and he would do it.

I hope I get to use the name Nicholai. I just need to remember how to spell it if I'm going to name him that. I have to keep looking it up lol
You will end up calling him Nicho and Nichie and other such nicknames. I do it with my snakes.

The dog sounds beautiful. Your dream must have been very vivid.
Catherine

(03-06-2014, 02:20 PM)Catherine Wrote: You will end up calling him Nicho and Nichie and other such nicknames. I do it with my snakes.

The dog sounds beautiful. Your dream must have been very vivid.

I'd probably end up calling him Nick for short. I may even change the spelling just so it will look like it sounds like Nickolai.
That's like with my Leopard Gecko, Allison, I call her Ally for short.
Quote:I'd probably end up calling him Nick for short. I may even change the spelling just so it will look like it sounds like Nickolai.
That's like with my Leopard Gecko, Allison, I call her Ally for short.

Go with a spelling that you can remember and pronounce. It will make life easier. Most of my pets have names and nicknames. Jake is actually Jake Krinkle Snake, or affectionately, Jakie or is it Jakee? Jakey. None of the spellings works. I guess nicknames are not written names for a reason.

Nick and Ally, those are good names. You want names you feel good about. How is Ally.
Catherine

Ally is doing good. She has calmed down a lot. After her first most got ruined a few months ago I finally got her some more last night I don't know that she's checked it out yet or not but I put it in a terracotta planter that I had put in there originally to put a plant in there but I chickened out so it had just been sitting empty. she likes sitting in it so I hope she likes the moss addition. I need to get a spray bottle now so I can keep the moss wet.

But new update on the sugar glider. I might end up with both babies!! that just means happier gliders but I will definitely need to get the boy fixed. I do NOT want to have to deal with little ones if I can help it. That also means I will need a second cage for emergencies. But the cage I got is even cheaper now http://www.petco.com/Cart/ShoppingCart.aspx

Also I came up with the most amazing idea ever for the cage. For those who don't know sugar gliders are VERY messy. The area around their cage can get covered with urine. So I came up with an amazing idea to put a tarp around it, but not just any tarp... one that is specifically designed to fit the cage itself. I have sent the dimensions to a friend of mine and she is excited to help me create it.

The idea is to make it so that it will zip around the cage but easily come off to wash but I don't want it to smother the little guys either.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hiiamlibby/13130736614/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hiiamlibby/13130450625/
Here are my quick sketches of what I'm thinking.
The front flap I would only pull down at night and it wouldn't be strapped down or anything. I'll add some Velcro to the top so I can stick it up out of the way during the day.
The more the merrier. You will have fun no matter how many you get.
Good idea to get the male fixed. You would need more time and space to deal with babies.

It is good to have a second cage. I have spares in case I need to separate anyone.

I have heard about their pee being strong and messy. A tarp might just do it. It would protect them from drafts as well. Keep us posted on how that is going. I know they cover bird cages because birds are messy, why not sugar gliders.

So how soon do you get your sugar glider(s).
Catherine