Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Man jumps in the ocean to save a seagull
Jumping in the ocean to save an animal in distress is impressive. More impressive is the fact that it was a common seagull. 
This was in Canada so the water was cold. He swam out to the bird and found it was tangled in fishing gear. He swam back with the bird and it was taken to a vet to have fish hooks removed from its feet and wings.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...CpISt1U_9_

The bird would have slowly drowned. It couldn't possibly have freed itself from the fish line and hooks. 
He didn't hesitate, he just jumped in and did what was needed.

It is nice to know there are good people in the world who are willing to help an animal in distress.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

What a good thing to do. That is just great. I hope the Seagull will be okay, and hope that the man warms up by now!
It is hard to just stand by and watch any animal in distress, desperately needing help. That man did what others maybe couldn't have done even if they had wanted to. Blessings to him.
He was young and healthy and able to swim out to the bird. Others might not have been able to swim like that. The water is very cold so many people couldn't have done it. I would have known to strip down like that, but I wouldn't have thought of the life preserver. That meant he didn't wear himself out trying to keep afloat. So he wanted to help the bird as did the people who put in a call for help. He was also able to help. 

Good for him that he did it. I know there are lots of seagulls and many people don't like them, but it would be sad for a bird to die because of people's discarded fishing gear. It was  a brave action. That water is very cold.
Catherine

A brave young man! Well done, Erik!

However, I didn't like this part of the article:
"The heroic rescue (or unnecessary swim, depending on your opinion of seagulls) has since been viewed more than 10,000 times online after Ross posted her video to Facebook and YouTube." Even if there are some people who dislike seagulls (their problem), there was no need to put that bit in the article, which detracts from Erik's act of kindness.
I thought the remark about seagulls was uncalled for. The bird was drowning, trapped in a fishing gear. Under those circumstances a person would have to be very nasty to want to see the bird die. Even making a remark like that is nasty.

What Erik did was brave and compassionate. He couldn't let an animal die like that. That is the real story. It doesn't matter what he saved or how people feel about it. No animal should be left to die. Erik understood that. Erik is a nice guy.
Catherine