Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Inner Life of Animals--by Peter Wohlleben
You may recognize the name Peter Wohlleben. He wrote the Secret Lives of Trees. It was a stunning revelation about the plant kingdom.
Now he has done it again with his book The Secret Lives of Animals.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/o...ben-review

Some of us already knew that animals have rich emotional lives and feel more deeply than most people realize. For many this book will be an eye opener. Of course and one who reads a book with a tittle like this probably is already open to seeing animals as more.

I would like to read this and I hope many people think about its message.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I haven't read that book and am ashamed to say I hadn't heard of the writer!
That looks like an interesting book.
Today I watched cows in the field behind my house. One cow was grooming another, and was working on that for 20 minutes or so. The other cow was loving it...nearly going into a trance. The cow giving the massage probably had nothing to gain except an aching tongue! It struck me as just friendship and kindness given to the other cow.
Then I saw a cow later in the day staring intently at something; absolutely fascinated, for quite some time. She was gazing into the Hazel trees. I crept out the back to take a look, and there was a Squirrel running around in the trees.

If we actually stop and observe animals, we will find that in many ways they are not unlike us.
I have heard of him, but I haven't read either book. I didn't realize how amazing they are. If the article is accurate both books are really good. He has obviously spent time observing animals and he has kept an open mind about what he has observed.  
Like you he wondered what animals are doing. That is why he saw the things he did and why you saw the cow watching a squirrel. So I wonder what squirrels are watching when they are staring at something.

All of life has something in common. I wonder now why people thought they were so different from animals. Animals are just really nice people. They go about their lives much the way we do. Except we have gotten caught up in collecting things we don't need drowning ourselves in stuff. We could learn to be happier if we learned to live more like animals. 

I wonder if he is going to write more books.
Catherine

(10-22-2017, 04:31 AM)Catherine Wrote: ....Animals are just really nice people......

Thumbsupsmileyanim That's a lovely way of putting it Catherine.
I think we would do well if we observed animals and acted more like them. I am talking about how animals really act and not how we think they act.

This book could be a real surprize to some people. The rest of us will just feel at home with a good read about a familiar subject.
Catherine