Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Danish Zoo reaches new low.
Sad 
The Danish zoo that fed Marius the giraffe to its lions has reached a new low. They are accepting unwanted pets as food for their animals.

https://sputniknews.com/viral/2017122210...l-cruelty/

I think it is shocking that they are doing this. It is even more shocking that they are so public about it. They are encouraging people to bring their children to see what happens to their unwanted pets.

Wouldn't that traumatize a child for life? I find the thought of it happening rather disturbing. I can't imagine how I would feel if it was my pet that was being fed to the lions.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

The article seems to sidestep the issue, but it appears that the pets "donated" by humans who detained them previously (the humans are unworthy of the title "caretakers" or even "owners") are fed as live food to the predators at the zoo.

Yes, this happens in nature, but there the animals are wild and the predator has to work hard to catch a prey. Prey has a chance to escape. In a zoo enclosure, the prey has no chance of escape at all.

To take children to a zoo to "donate" a former pet and then let them watch as the poor creature is killed by a large predator, is sick in the extreme. I am shocked that it is allowed. The parents should be prosecuted.

This idea is also disturbing because it transmits the idea to children that a pet is disposable. It also desensitises children to the pain suffered by the pets being eaten alive. Horrible.

This zoo deserves to be boycotted.
The zoo is a house of horrors. They are not just asking for "food" to be donated. They are asking for pets and letting the children come and see what happens to their pets. That is just sick.

As you said this is not like the natural predator prey cycle. These are little animals that depended on these people for care and are now being handed over to a predator. It is a betrayal of the trust that we have with our pets.

Also it is a bitter lesson for a child. The child has cared about the pet and now it gets a horrible death. Maybe the child still cares for the pet. That never stopped a nasty parent from killing a pet. Maybe the child has  lost interest and will at some point feel it was their fault the pet died like that.  Maybe they get the message that when you don't want something anymore it is okay to dispose of it in as nasty a way as you want. There are no good lessons for a child in this. 

I can't even imagine what the zoo people are thinking. They are a sick bunch.
Catherine

Yes it is sick. I agree. I am extremely disappointed in the Danes for doing something like this. I have always had great respect for the Scandinavians, but this is just really base level and twisted.
And the horrific thing is people will be brainwashed into thinking that is all cool and acceptable. But yes you are right. The Heart cannot be told lies. I can just imagine the damaging effects experiencing that could have on children.
Surely there is some outcry about this? Petitions?? As soon as I can I will have a look.
This zoo just keeps getting worse and worse. They kill their own animals and feed them to each other, They kill animals that they don't want anymore. Now they are calling on the public to dispose of unwanted pets. I hope this is as low as they can go. I don't even want to think of what they would do next.

This is unacceptable behavior when it comes to children. It is teaching them a lack of empathy. Many children would have to cope by shutting off their feelings. It teaches them that it is alright to hurt an animal, even your own pet. Something should be done. It is not just the  zoo that is at fault. Parents were willing to bring their children and pets to the zoo to be part of this horror show. 

The zoo should be shut down and the parents should be supervised when they are with their children.
The parents and any zoo staff should be banned from owning animals. I agree, it is surprizing that Denmark allows such a thing.
Catherine