Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Detroit Dog Rescue triples its capacity
Detroit Dog Rescue runs a no kill shelter. They help hundreds of dogs, adopting out about 500 every year. That number is going to get bigger. They have received the donation of a building, a former veterinary clinic to be used as a new shelter. This will triple their capacity to house dogs. The building is going to be renovated to meet the shelters needs and it should be open by 2019.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/201...adquarters

This is good news for the dogs of Detroit. They plan to keep both shelters open for now. There is need. At a later date the old shelter could become a low  cost vet clinic. There is definitely need for that as well. 

Veterinarian Janice Collins is doing a wonderful thing by donating her Westcott Veterinary Care Center. She could have sold the building, but she chose to use it to help the animals of Detroit instead. This is a very caring act and she should be commended for it.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

What wonderful work Detroit rescue are doing. It is so good to hear news like this. What a good woman that vet is to donate the building to their cause. So many more dogs will be helped and that is an act of great kindness.

I like the new ideas they have....to create a birthing centre, and a training centre. Although they are very fortunate to have the building, I wish them well raising the funds necessary for the revovations.
I hope having a building will give people incentive to donate to its renovation. Since it is already a vet clinic it is suitable for use as a shelter. It would have drains in the floor in kennel areas and clinic rooms and a reception area. The birthing area is a great idea. Sadly there are many puppies being born in Detroit that will need shelter care and good permanent homes.

I can't wait to see the notice of it being opened as a shelter. No doubt there will be articles and pictures.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine