Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEVER vaccinate an animal under stress or anaesthesia!
Rabies is a terrible disease, and there is always a worry with any companion animal in countries which have it. The vaccine has protected very many animals, and humans.

But only the other day I saw a video of a small dog (Chihuahua) who had been seriously injured as a result of his Rabies vaccination. It was a sad video to watch. The dog had been healthy before his vaccination.

I am sure the benefits with the vaccine outweigh the risks, but for some unfortunate ones, one shot and their life as they knew it, is over. The percentage of such animals will be quite low. But it does highlight the fact that vaccinations are not risk-free. And many reactions may not even be reported as being vaccine-related.
And the injections are "given out like sweets" in more or less every country.

So there is some element which is not coming under consideration, or is not being reviewed properly by manufacturers.
Vaccinating when under any form of stress or when there is any problem already with the immune system is one thing, and that can also affect older animals more severely. But the components of these vaccines are another.

My feeling is there ought to be some sort of regulatory body, which not only oversees the ingredients of these vaccines, and whether suitable non-damaging or lower risk adjuvant ingredients could be used, but would also mandate that manufacturers were obligated to include guidelines for use and warnings for inappropriate or untimely use.
Vets also should be more deeply educated and be willing to offer clients other options (such as Titer testing in certain instances), and be aware of the risks involved, which appear to equal the risks of anaesthetics, as far as I can make out. Some vets do stick their heads in the sand about this issue. Or they may simply be unaware.
Quote: But only the other day I saw a video of a small dog (Chihuahua) who had been seriously injured as a result of his Rabies vaccination. It was a sad video to watch. The dog had been healthy before his vaccination.

I think you made a good point about the vaccine dose being the same for every animal. If the dose is enough to vaccinate a Great Dane, how is it the right dose for a Chihuahua. We need vaccines, but I think we have become complacent about how we use them. If it is dangerous to give vaccines to an anesthetized animal then why are vets still doing it. There might not be a reaction every time, but it increases the risk. Anesthetics are dangerous as well. The good they do out weights the risk, but there is a risk. Some do die from the anesthetic itself.

I think the use of vaccines, anesthetics and any medications needs to be reviewed.  There should be a continual monitoring. It is only when there are a lot of negative results that we hear anything. We would react sooner and adjust how we do things if we knew there was a problem much earlier.

Drugs are only recalled after many people are harmed. I don't know if there are any good statistics for vaccines. They need to be evaluated for reactions, also for what conditions existed when the reaction occurred. They may find there are a number of reasons to withhold vaccination or to alter the dose.  Maybe the vaccines need to be improved. Certainly titer testing should be more available.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I heard interesting news today about the veterinary practice where I used to take Misty. Or rather, about the attitude of one of the younger vets there. She is now recommending boosters every three years.

Titer testing is and always has been available, literally. It's just that most people didn't know to ask for it. It usually isn't suggested by the vet. When I asked for it, I thought I caught a trace of "Oh you've been reading things on the internet, have you?"....but that could have been my imagination.
It was certainly not denied, and the vet was happy to comply. However, a thought to bear in mind is that Titer testing cost about three times as much as the regular boosters. So if vets quote that, it's not a rip-off gong on.
Our vet said he'd never been asked for that before.
The one thought that did go through my mind was why wasn't it offered as a possible alternative? But it never was.
I am glad to hear that a vet is recommending a booster only every three years. That is better than pushing shots every year, 
The vaccines are good, so most animals will have a good immunity. Even if it is more expensive the titer testing is safer than just blindly giving shots without thinking about it. 

I can picture the vet's face when you asked for the titer testing. They don't like us to know anything.

The doctors don't like us to ask questions about our own health. We should question though. Many vaccination plans were drawn up a long time ago and have never been reviewed.
Catherine

Titer testing is generally not offered for the very reason you stated. The testing is expensive. It can also be time consuming, sending off bloods and waiting for results. It is far easier just to give a booster. For most animals, their levels are low by the time it comes for their booster. Of course patients are within their rights to ask for testing though.

Here i think we recommend the C3 vaccine every 3 years and kennel cough booster every year.
Quote:Here i think we recommend the C3 vaccine every 3 years and kennel cough booster every year.

Some vaccinations need to be done yearly, but some not as often.

With humans they recommend the flu shot yearly and the tetanus/polio booster every 10 years.  Not all vaccines are the same and not all immune responses are the same. Maybe the animal vaccines need more testing so they will know for sure how long the immunity lasts. It would be good to thing about the dosage as well. Dogs vary in size so much. Surely it matter what size of dog is being vaccinated.
Catherine

I dont think the size matters as it's to do with their immune system, not their weight.

At the clinic i work at, if an animal is having surgery and also a vaccination, we give the vaccination once the animal is out of anaesthesia. Its always administered by the vet.
Good to know that size doesn't matter. That would make sense now that I think of it. It is a triggered immune response. "Dose" size doesn't matter when you catch an illness, why would it matter when we are vaccinated for it.

The vet you work for is wise to do it that way. If the manufacturer doesn't recommend vaccinating an anesthetized animal then why take a chance.
Catherine