Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
still alive
I know I haven't really been around much the past year or so. Just wanted to check in and say hi and how has everyone been?! I am still alive and kicking.

It was a pretty tough year last year, and I was in a terrible place. I'm slowly getting better now. The world is becoming such a depressing place it can be hard. They've certainly been trying times.

But I've taken a (somewhat) different path and I'm now working as a veterinary nurse at a small animals clinic. I'm beginning to feel more focused in life now I have some direction, instead of flailing like I was.
So now I'm learning a whole new industry of cats and dogs and people hahaha.
It's definitely challenging and overwhelming. I've already had to deal with euthanasia and sending people's pets to the crematorium. And although I've dealt with death in my own life many times before, it's different again when it's someone else's pet you've had to put down, and harder still when the owner won't stop crying.
I'm told I will eventually get used to it, and that is likely true as we euthanise at least a couple of times a week.

So it's been a big eye-opener into what it's like being a vet nurse. I'm enjoying it so far. For every loss there are more wins, and it's great when you see pets leave happy and healthy. And getting puppy and kitten cuddles makes it easier Smile

We get some wildlife too (possums, birds etc) which is good practice for me! My very first patient was actually a blue-tongued lizard who needed a pain killer injection because he'd accidentally been run over.

So I'm looking forward to wherever this may take me
(02-13-2018, 01:14 AM)platy Wrote: So I'm looking forward to wherever this may take me

Platy, may it take you on a journey of success, job satisfaction, increased happiness and good health!

Every best wish to you!
It's good to hear from you again platy. I was wondering how you are. Yes, there are some humans in this world who like to deliberately mess things up. So sad and awful things happen which are depressing.

But congratulations for becoming a veterinary nurse! I can imagine that job is challenging and hard emotionally at times. But it is a worthwhile profession. Good vet nurses are so needed. I wish you the very best in this work. Take care and nice to hear from you again!
I am glad to hear from you and know that things are going better. Working as a Vet Nurse will certainly be interesting. You never know what will walk in the door. I do hope the blue tongued lizard was alright. It is going to have its ups and downs, but it is meaningful work. 
I think life goes better when you have a job that you believe is important. You know what you are doing matters in the lives of the animals and their people. Congratulations on a good career choice. I hope you gets lots of kitten and puppy snuggles. 

I don't know if you ever get used to euthanasia or animal deaths, but I think you develop a level of peace about death. It is inevitable and sometimes ending a life peacefully is the only gift you have left to give to someone's beloved pet. In some ways it is a gift to the people. They will remember their pet as it was instead of dragging out a painful death. It is hard though. Sometimes the pet is their only friend and they have no one left to comfort them. They will remember and kind words you say even if you are not sure they are listening.

Keep us posted. I would love to hear how you are doing and what is happening with your job.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Thanks so much guys!

It's been a few months now and my head is just swimming with information overload! It can be very hard, but then I remember how lucky I am that I got this job in the first place and I'm grateful. In the last month we've had a few people contact us looking for a job, people who are actually qualified and have veterinary experience! While I came in literally knowing nothing, no qualifications, nothing. It makes me feel very lucky to have been given this opportunity! I'm still in my probation period so I'm really hoping I don't blow it and I'll still have a job at the end of it haha

I seriously think I have learned something new every time I go into work. And I honestly never knew just how much work vet nurses do. Some days are absolutely hectic and you can go 11-12 hours without a break. Other days it's like "has there been an apocalypse? where is everyone?" But i really enjoy the variety, and even the nasty cats are a good learning experience hahahah

At the moment I've been learning the surgical routines. I actually find it quite frightening lol I essentially put the patient under anaesthetic and then monitor their every breath, heart beat and vital sign. Sounds easy though right. Until you get your patients with heart murmurs or heart failure, or old patients, or kidney disease, or brachycephalic patients etc etc etc or even just anything that's not a cat or dog. Huge learning curve!
Makes me wonder how anaesthetists in all those tv shows have time to be reading or doing crosswords when they should be monitoring! hahaha
Hey platy, it's good to hear from you again. Yes you will be learning new things every day....and the pace! well I can sort of imagine what it must be like.

No it doesn't sound easy to put a patient under anaesthetic, and then monitor them! That sounds like incredibly skilled work, and one I must admit, I would be a bit scared of doing, as it sounds nerve-wracking, especially as not every patient is completely fit and young! It must be a lot more challenging when another species comes in for an op -such as a snake or tiny creature. Dogs and most cats are pretty tough, but some species are very anaesthetic-sensitive and unpredictable.

And dealing with cantankerous cats....well yes dogs can bite but often do try to be a bit polite, but cats who are in a bad mood have to be the spikiest things invented. Like Porcupines on speed.

But what an amazing job. I respect what you are doing so much.
Your job has turned into a really exciting career. With all the learning you will never be bored, tired maybe, but not bored.
Why is it so busy one day and totally dead the next. It would be better if there was a balance, but there is no way to make that happen.

The surgery will be interesting, but I hear you about giving anesthetic. It is a heavy responsibility. It seems simple in theory, but there is a lot to monitor.

Quote:Makes me wonder how anaesthetists in all those tv shows have time to be reading or doing crosswords when they should be monitoring! hahaha
I have wondered the same thing. No real anesthesiologist would have time to read.

I think you have found the right job to challenge you and keep you interested. I think the vet has found the right employee. 
You are motivated and capable and you really care about the animals.

Keep us posted.
Did the blue tongue skink make it?
Catherine

I'm not actually sure if the blue tongue has been released or not, I'm not at that clinic anymore. But I'm sure it's fine.

Monday just seemed to drag onnnn forever. I think maybe it's just that time of year, it's getting cold, dark so early, I'd probably rather stay at home too. But personally I think we really need to work on our social media. At the moment, the girl who runs it seems to just post "cute" pictures. Like no offense to her at all, but I think we need to be providing our followers with more information, and keeping them updated with everything pet care.
We have our performance reviews next week eeeeeeeeeeek! So I was thinking maybe I could broach the topic then, let them know I'd be interested in helping with the social media? But I don't know if that's going to put the other girl out of place or make things awkward.

And see there is another clinic very close to us who offers services that we don't like puppy school and grooming, so we miss out there too.
But I guess like anywhere there's busy days and less busy days. At least for us nurses there is always something to do, even if it is just cleaning or filing.

Ohhh and we got a bunny! Not sure if we're actually going to keep him in the clinic or rehome him. We love having him, but kind of feel like staying in the clinic is a bit boring for him and he'd be better off with a family
Glad things are still going well for you. Please keep us updated about the bunny.
Just remember on the crazy busy days that you wanted it busier on the slow days.

Maybe she would be glad if you took over the social media. Can you talk around the subject and see what she says and see what other people think.

I will hope the Skink is fine.
A bunny is sweet to have around, but a home would be quieter for him. Rabbits are very sensitive and really busy days might be too much for him.
Catherine