Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pig adopted from SPCA--killed and eaten!
Sad 
Angry It is horrible, but it is true. Molly was a Vietnamese Pot Bellied Pig. The BC SPCA rescued her with other pigs, restored her to health and then adopted her out to a family. They committed to keeping Molly as a pet on their farm for the rest of her life. They even signed papers that she would not be used as food. Not long after that the family killed and ate Molly.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4042125/pig-a...en-owners/

The people even posted pictures on snap chat when they were preparing Molly's body to be eaten. A friend couldn't keep the secret and alerted other pig owners. I respect the integrity of that person.
These people signed papers saying they would never use Molly as food. They clearly lack integrity. 

Angry What they did was wrong, but sadly not illegal. They are banned from adopting from the SPCA, but that in not exactly justice for Molly.

I wish they would publish their names so we would know who they are. If they were my neighbours I would want to know.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I managed to find out their names. His name is Austin Manson Forget. He has publicly admitted, "I killed the f...ing pig", along with the comment "ahahahahah" on Facebook. His girlfriend is Lauren Combs. They live on Vancouver Island. Their Snapchat accounts, where they posted pictures of the slaughter and the cooking/seasoning process, seem to have been deleted. One of the wonders of computers and the net is that web pages can be saved by someone before they are deleted. That is what happened in this case. Screenshots exist of incriminating Facebook posts.

See:
http://metro.co.uk/2018/02/24/molly-the-...rs-7339149
and
https://www.facebook.com/RastaRescue/pos...2275796792

There are many more details in the articles I have just cited.

The couple can't be charged under current Canadian law, but the SPCA already knew the laws about animals. They should have drawn up is a contract with a clause under civil (not criminal) law. I did that when I gave away some ewes a few years ago. I made it clear in the agreement that they were never to be killed for food and (to make sure the people kept their word) that if the undertaking were broken, they would have to pay me €500. Since a ewe only costs about €60, that made it financially unattractive to those seeking a cheap source of meat. Such a measure is more effective than mere vetting, as people can and do lie about their intentions, sadly. The SPCA could have done something similar.
(02-25-2018, 07:03 PM)LPC Wrote: The couple can't be charged under current Canadian law, but the SPCA already knew the laws about animals. They should have drawn up is a contract with a clause under civil (not criminal) law. I did that when I gave away some ewes a few years ago. I made it clear in the agreement that they were never to be killed for food and (to make sure the people kept their word) that if the undertaking were broken, they would have to pay me €500. Since a ewe only costs about €60, that made it financially unattractive to those seeking a cheap source of meat. Such a measure is more effective than mere vetting, as people can and do lie about their intentions, sadly. The SPCA could have done something similar.

That is an excellent idea LPC. It would work very well, I am sure.

If the adoption fee had been more than the price of a "livestock pig" that might also have deterred these people? But of course, doing that might also make adoption more difficult, except with really dedicated compassionate people.

But what a horrible thing to do. And when people take it upon themselves to "kill something" -how well do they do it? Slaughtehouses are bad enough. But some amateur killing a pig?

Poor thing.
LPC you are amazing. I couldn't find their names last night.  I have posted the info on Facebook and asked people to share. 
Some of my friends would have contacts in BC. 

I think he adopted the pig with the intention of eating her. You are right the document he signed has no legal standing.
They need a document with legal standing. He can't even be sued in civil court because all he signed was an agreement. 
I don't know if Canadian Law can sort out a way to protect animals in this situation. Our laws are not the best as it is. 

I think the only hope is for a strong public/social media sanction. If people boycotted the company he worked for they would have to act. If the reaction against him is strong enough no one else would risk doing such a thing.
The wrath of people who care about animals is a powerful thing. It won't bring Molly back, but it will give some measure of justice.

If his girlfriend is a decent person she should dump him right away and do it publically. 

I doubt he really killed the pig humanely. Few people know how to be really humane.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine