Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barbara Streisand had her dog cloned
In 2017 Barbara Streisand lost her beloved 14 year old dog Samantha. I feel for her loss. 
Before the dog died she had tissue samples taken and had her dog cloned. Her new dogs Miss Scarlett and Miss Violet are c lones of Samantha.

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/barbra...202711047/

There are lots of issues here, the most obvious being the fact that neither dog acts like her dead pet. They may be genetically the same, but they are not the same dog. They have different personalities.

She could have used the money in so many better ways. She could have donated to a shelter in Samantha's name. 
She could have looked for a new dog, preferably at a shelter and fallen in love with it for its own sake. They could have started a new journey together. That would have honoured Samantha more than trying to replace her with a look a like.

Even if they are sweet dogs will she come to resent the fact that after all that money she doesn't have her dog back.

I found an interesting reflective article that looks at our relationship with death. Death is a part of the life experience and our pets were  always going to leave us. We grieve and go on. By trying to cheat death by cloning her dog, Barbara Streisand has
missed an important part of our experience of having a pet.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre...oning-pets

Losing a pet is part of having a pet. It is the hard part, but it can be beautiful too. Being there and letting a pet leave us in peace is part of how much we loved and were close to our pet.

I have never considered cloning a pet, not just because I don't have the money. I have had the children of my pets and that is so different. I have Earl's son, Sedona. He looks so much like his father and is like him in many ways. So I have the joy of having Sedona who is a beautiful snake in his own right. I also have a happy reminder of Earl. Earl is gone. A clone wouldn't be Earl. His son is a reminder in a healthy happy way.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I very much like what you wrote.

You are willing to live with life and accept "death" as a natural part of life. That is -in my view anyway -a healthy relationship with life.

If only those people genuinely knew that their beloved ones continue to live, although in a different dimension... Barbara Streisand never "lost" her dear dog. That dog's Soul is very much alive! She just appeared to lose a connection with her dog, or thinks she has, and it doesn't always have to be that way.
I wish they all knew how to continue the connection in an inner way, while getting on with life in the meantime.

People have to do what they see fit at the time. I can not imagine doing that. It would be better to rescue a needy animal than do that in my view. But that's the thing....we are all here to do what we can with what we get. The choices are varied.
Those dogs are different Souls even though their body shapes look like the original dogs. Let's hope that she will come to terms with those Souls who have come to be with her, and love them for who they are, given time. If the dogs have any sense, they will charm her! We live and learn.
I  recognize death as a natural part of life. I think it makes me cherish life more and not want to waste it. I don't have an unlimited supply of life for myself or my pets or even my friends. I  don't fear the end of my body, but I recognize that it will come. I know from my pets that the spirit, lives on. Jonathan stayed with me a long time after death. Some leave quickly. 

I often adopt or rescue an older pet knowing our time will be brief. I get to share with them and make beautiful their passing from life. It is a special time and I cherish it. I want them to pass in peace and feel safe and loved. Death can be gentle and a release after a long life or a failing body.

Jack my black corn snake is moving towards death right now from cancer. He is resting quietly in my lap as I type this. I don't know how much longer we have, but we will use the time wisely.

I  don't need or want a clone. I think that is a direction we shouldn't go. I won't bring us what we want, our pet back. It will only bring frustration because the clone isn't our pet. It might even destroy the cherished memories of our pet by replacing them with a look a like that won't love us like our pet. Our pets grow to love us over the years as we grew to love them. How hard would it be to look at something like our pet who doesn't have a bond with us. It would touch every memory we have of that pet. A totally  new pet would create its own bond and memories.

Cloning her pet may have seemed like a way to keep the pet at the time, but I think she knows different now. If  she knew then what she knows now, I wonder if she would still do it.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine