Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USA plans high speed slaughter houses for pigs
There are already some pilot projects where they are testing it out. The slaughter house will run at a faster speed and have less government inspection.
Why doesn't that seem like a good idea.

https://www.plantbasednews.org/post/usda...-slaughter

The pig slaughter houses were already houses of horrors. This just makes it worse.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre...hterhouses

We are combining the inhumane treatment of animals with food unsafety. There is no way to see this as a good idea. 
Slaughter houses are already bad. They have found a way to make them worse.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

How horrific.

"Faster speed" equals "more units per hour". Fewer Government inspections (oh that is a terrible idea!) means less cost for the Government. It's all about profit, units, and saving money. How can we still think like this?

There is no "nice" way to kill a pig and there is no happy way to kill a large number of pigs. But this new idea does sound as if it is set to bring even more horror, botched jobs, and cruelty.
Slaughter houses were always bad, but this will make them worse. There will be many pigs who will still be alive when they go into the scalding hot water. They will be scalded to death, a very painful way to die. We already do this to chickens. Far too many are still alive when they go into the scalding water. Chicks in the hatchery get caught in the plastic containers and die when they go through the scaling hot water that sterilizes them.

What is it about boiling things to death! We have set up so many things to do with animals that puts them at risk of being scalded to death. It happens because we are rushing. We are rushing so we can make more money. Is more money worth what we do to the animals involved.

I wouldn't want it on my conscience.
Catherine

Why am I not surprised that this new idea is being trialled in the USA?! "The slaughter house will run at a faster speed and have less government inspection." Yes, that fits....

(03-07-2018, 04:45 PM)Catherine Wrote: Slaughter houses are already bad. They have found a way to make them worse.

Yes, that sums it up very nicely.

(03-08-2018, 09:28 AM)Tobi Wrote: "Faster speed" equals "more units per hour". Fewer Government inspections (oh that is a terrible idea!) means less cost for the Government. It's all about profit, units, and saving money.

Yes, that sums it up well, too.

I can't really add much to what you have both written, only to express my horror that such a situation could become commonplace in the USA. In Europe, I doubt whether current legislation or public opinion would permit such ideas to even see the light of day.
Under the current  administration in the USA things like this could become common. Maybe Europe has an advantage in that  no one government holds all the powers over the rules. Because there are multiple countries making decisions there is more of a balance. A radical change in government in one European country can't change the rules for the whole European Union. 
Common sense and compassion have a chance to prevail.

Whenever profit becomes the motivator cruelty and abuse are sure to follow. 

Saving money by cruelty to animals and a lack of food inspection is very short sighted. Government inspectors are meant to prevent cruelty. They are also meant to protect food safety. A lack of food safety will eventually have consequences.
Catherine